Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #1 
mybettajaws2010

Exclamation Someone HELP!

Hello,

I need some help diagnosing my poor little betta's ailment!

Okay, for starters, I have a male Crowntail betta, (I'm unaware of his age, but I'm guessing he's young) and he's generally a lively little guy. Always darts around and gets excited when it's feeding time. I just recently noticed that he has fin rot. The rays of his fins are breaking off, there are slimy patches attached to the top rays of his fins, and the "webbing", if you will, is becoming more translucent. It's very mild, and I've been cleaning his tank 100 % with aquarium salt everyday until he gets better.
Well I just realized yesterday that the slimy patches aren't going away, and they seem to be progressing.
Also, his belly seems a bit bloated. He's also lost a little bit of his hyperactivity and he's been hiding in his castle a lot more than he usually does. Also, when he goes to the surface for air, he blows out multiple little bubbles, and then eats them. Why is this?
I'm so worried for my little guy and I just wanna do what's best for him. I fed him a little bit of pea the other day, but I don't think it really helped.
Can someone PLEASE help me?

As for his living quarters, he lives in a 1 Gal tank, unfiltered, temp. is right around 83-84 degrees according to my thermometer.
mybettajaws2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #2 
LinuxTux37

Calm down. I know this is a big deal, but calm down.

Now, before we can help you, we need the answers to the questions posted here. This will allow us to understand what may be happening and how to treat it.
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #3 
LinuxTux37

You may want to try some Stress Coat. However, this is only off the top of my head and we need to know more.

Last edited by LinuxTux37; 09-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
LinuxTux37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 
The Fighter

my betta got fin rot but when i got the melafix it was too late even tho i continued the treatment and the melafix worked it stopped the fin rot but he passed away later R.I.P Saphy
the melafix worked really well you should try it if he has finrot
The Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #5 
mybettajaws2010

Tank - 1 Gal, unfiltered, 84 Degrees, 1 plastic castle and plastic plant
Food - A mixture of pellets and bloodworms, I generally feed him 2-3 pellets once a day. I alternate between worms and pellets every other day.
Water parameters - I don't know, he lives in bottled spring water, and I put BettaBowl conditioner in there.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Your using bottled water??!! If your using the conditioner just switch to regular tap water.

I say just keep him SUPER clean and maybe get an anti fungus medication like Wardleys Ick away (also works on velvet and fungus) so I highly reccomend this product.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #7 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fighter View Post
my betta got fin rot but when i got the melafix it was too late even tho i continued the treatment and the melafix worked it stopped the fin rot but he passed away later R.I.P Saphy
the melafix worked really well you should try it if he has finrot
Melafix isn't safe for bettas because they are labyrinth fish, so avoid it. Hykari betta revive is the best if we're talking meds for fin rot and the like.

How often are you changing his water?

Just FYI one gallon isn't recommended on this forum. Most people here are going to tell you to invest in a 2.5 or a 5 gallon setup.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #8 
mybettajaws2010

I'm working a part-time cashier job right now, and between all of my bills and groceries, investing in a new fish tank just isn't an option at the moment.

I know 1 Gal isn't very good for bettas to live in, but for now, I'm trying to make the best of it until I can afford something better.

I used to change his water once to twice a week, but I've upped it to 3 times a week now that I've noticed the fin rot. Like I stated previously, the fin rot is very mild right now, and I'm confident he'll beat it.

I'm just more concerned on why he's bloated/hiding more frequently/blowing and eating his bubbles?

Oh, and I plan on transitioning to tap water soon. lol. The continuous purchasing of bottled water is putting a strain on my wallet!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybettajaws2010 View Post
I'm working a part-time cashier job right now, and between all of my bills and groceries, investing in a new fish tank just isn't an option at the moment.

I know 1 Gal isn't very good for bettas to live in, but for now, I'm trying to make the best of it until I can afford something better.

I used to change his water once to twice a week, but I've upped it to 3 times a week now that I've noticed the fin rot. Like I stated previously, the fin rot is very mild right now, and I'm confident he'll beat it.

I'm just more concerned on why he's bloated/hiding more frequently/blowing and eating his bubbles?

Oh, and I plan on transitioning to tap water soon. lol. The continuous purchasing of bottled water is putting a strain on my wallet!
Bloating could be from overfeeding. I usually feed my fish everyother day...sometimes every 2 days. I rarely see a bloat. Also lower amounts of food means less waste which means my jarred bettas are kept cleaner :)

Keeping up with constant water changes will get rid of it fast ;)

And bottled water isn't an option for someone like me with tons of tanks and jars.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #10 
mybettajaws2010

Okay, so I noticed this morning on the way to work that his fins are getting much worse. As a matter of fact, I noticed a pinhole :[ What do I need to do for him now? Apparently the water changes aren't helping.