Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #11 
Alexanderismylife

I do 50% water changes weekly ,so I do not think it was bad water quality...but honestly I never tested any of my water. All of my other fish are fine though so I don't think it's that. Also I've had him for about a year,so I'm guessing he is about 1.5 years-2 years old. So should I just keep dojng frequent water changes and keep doing everything I'm doing? Or should there be something else I should be doing?

Thank you for all the replies!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #12 
vaygirl

It doesn't have to be a tumor. It could be a cyst of some kind. I don't know what to tell you about treatment. I don't think there IS a treatment for either. I mean if it was a fluid filled growth you might find a vet to try and drain it (my cat had these) but I don't know if you have those kind of resources. If it's cancer I don't think there's anything to do but keep him comfy.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear. None of us here are vets. I DO know that true tumors don't come from bacteria. Or at least that's not what I've read when researching for Whiskey. They can be viral or they can be genetic. Mostly they're genetic.

I'd certainly keep things clean. It will help him to not develop any other problems. I think you're taking fine care of him.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #13 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
It doesn't have to be a tumor. It could be a cyst of some kind. I don't know what to tell you about treatment. I don't think there IS a treatment for either. I mean if it was a fluid filled growth you might find a vet to try and drain it (my cat had these) but I don't know if you have those kind of resources. If it's cancer I don't think there's anything to do but keep him comfy.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear. None of us here are vets. I DO know that true tumors don't come from bacteria. Or at least that's not what I've read when researching for Whiskey. They can be viral or they can be genetic. Mostly they're genetic.

I'd certainly keep things clean. It will help him to not develop any other problems. I think you're taking fine care of him.
A VET??:/
What can a vet do for a fish? Also can fish get cancer?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #14 
nochoramet

Yes, I'm sure fish can get cancer. And there are vets that can help with any sort of animal it just depends on if you have one around you that is experienced with them.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #15 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
A VET??:/
What can a vet do for a fish? Also can fish get cancer?
VG wasn't saying that the OP should take the fish to a vet, she was simply stating that that is what they do for cats.

It could be a parasitical problem. Are his scales raised by the tumor? If so I could be a parasite problem.

Some fish are just born with Tumors that get larger as they age.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #16 
vaygirl

When researching for Whiskey's tumor, I read an article where a betta fish had fluid filled cysts and they drained them with a syringe. I don't know if there's any vet that would be willing to do that. It would be tough to find I imagine. I was thinking out loud, I guess. But the picture did look a lot like Alexander's tumor.

And yes, fish can and do get cancer. True sharks are the only aquatics that don't get cancer.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote