Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #1 
DragonFish

2.5 gallon..couple questions...

SO, I've moved one of my 10s into the guest bedroom for my mom and Zeus, her fish.....and this weekend we'll be moving the 50 downstairs into the dining room, which would leave me with a 5 and a 20 long in my room(not including the hospital tanks)
I'd like to move the 5 from my desk over to my gradenza and set up a little 2.5 glass tank on my desk for my newest boy, Kurt.
I'm wondering....

-I know you CAN cycle a 2.5....and I do know HOW to cycle a tank and whatnot of course, but is it worth it to try and cycle a tank so small...? Or should I not even bother?

-If I DO cycle it...how many water changes? 2 50%s a week or so?

-Filer suggestions for such a small tank...? I have kind of a limited selection around here though, no Petsmart, Petco, or Walmart close enough for a casual trip for a filter.

Haha, I'm sure these questions have been asked many times already...but I'm lazy ;P LOL. So...yeah.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #2 
Neelie

of i were you i wouldnt bother trying to cycle. a small tank like a 2.5g will never be stable imo. id not rely on it anyways! water changes for that size tank is 100% every 4 days.. thats what i did anyways and it worked a treat. i had 5 2.6g myself. so i know exactly whats in store for you lol. my fish were never happier so i think its the best setup for them.

i used filters in my tank. they were marina's, and were surface ilter types. and were about 15$. if you order 5 online id say its easiest for you. unless your taking a trip to a larger town where they have larger petstores. i would use filters if i were you. it keeps the water aerated, clear and your betta busy lol.
also, dont forget your heaters (or heater pads like i had them)

mine;

top view
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #3 
Hermitpaws

I have two 2.5 gasl an i didnt cycle ether one and my fish are fine.
you do wa nt to filter tho, i use a very cheap filter, that's Sadly a PETCO brand filter called the "Small world filter" its for tanks 5 gallon and smaller.
in my opinon they work great. just that you can't buy online you hafta go to the petco store all the time. filter cost me about $6 and two replacement filters are $6 also.
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Haha, thanks for the info guys! ;)
Yeah, I've had 2.5s before uncycled, but i was just curious if it was even worth it bothering to attempt to cycle it xD Haha, I suppose its 2-3 times per week cleaning again for me....oh well. ;)

I'll probably skip the filter though if I'm not cycling....saves me a few bucks, and it seems most of the good ones are at Petco and I don't really need 5...xDD LOL Thanks for all the suggestions though guys! I might pick one up at some point next time we head out of town and pass by a Petco...;)

Your settup is STUNNING BTW Neelie!! Haha, I'm jealous! I bet your boys are in heaven!! xD
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Dragonfish, do you still have any bettas left from your spawn? I'd like to see pics of them all grown up if possible.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Lol, up xD I think I have a total of....10 or so females, and 2 males ;)