Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #1 
CjRager89

2.5 w/ Live

I'm really excited about getting my new thai betta, and ordered some live plants as well (Riccia Fluitans and some Wisteria) to go into the 2.5 he will end up in. Im trying to keep the tank as "clean" looking as possible so I'm trying to avoide having a filter in the tank. Right now I have a sponge filter along with the small flat hydor heater. So all you see is a small cord and an air hose coming from one corner. (which will also be hidden when my background comes in)

My question is will the heater and the sponge filter be suitable for this tank setup?

When everything gets here, the 2.5 will have ~

1 -Betta
1 -10 Red Cherry Shirmp (got a deal on 10 adults, but I have other tanks I could put a few in, 10 might be too many)
1 - Wistera Plant
1 - Patch of Riccia Fluitans (already matted to 5" X 5")

Last edited by CjRager89; 09-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #2 
Drift

The problem with the Mini Hydor heaters is that they constantly give off heat and do not help maintain a steady temperature. So if the temperature of your room is always fluctuating it can be a problem. The Hydor Theo 25 watt would be fine for a 2.5 gallon after you played with the settings. I have 2 of the little pad heaters and have had them just stop working too.
I wouldn't put the shrimp in with my betta. I gave up on them. Even my most mellow CT decided to have a nice shrimp snack. -_- 10 seems like a lot for a 2.5 gallon. I would try maybe 3 or 4 in and see if any go missing.
I don't have any advice on the plants.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #3 
Josiee

I would agree that 10 shrimp is too many for a 2.5.... I have just two ghost shrimp in my 5gallon, though I do have a snail as well. Just err on the side of caution :) A 2.5 isn't really very big.
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 
zelilaa

i would put in 3 shrimp. i'm putting in 3 cherry shrimp with my Betta as soon as i get the water sprite plant i'm looking for. But realize that when putting in shrimp your taking a risk with it because your betta might attack them and try to eat them. If you put in the shrimp a day or two or longer before you put in the betta they have a better chance of survival :) The wisteria plant i'd so go for it! BUT- it does need some lights. so do u have any lights you can use? I use a 6.5 watt l.e.d light in a 40 watt gooseneck lamp for my tank. my plants flourish under it and its crazy bright. I'd try to get at least 3 watts of l.e.d lighting for the tank before you get the plants. i know 3, 6 watts seems like little, but l.e.ds are MUCH brighter and have a lot more light energy then incandescents. IDK anything about the other plant though, so do some research.

edit: I forgot to add.. water wisteria is usually only used in larger aquariums. at least 15 gal high... but it will be O.K if you trim it a lot. A LOT.

Last edited by zelilaa; 09-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #5 
CjRager89

Shrimps - I know 10 seems like a bunch, but thats the smallest amount I could find on aquabid, I only plan on adding a some of them. Im going to put the rest in my 10gal.

Wisteria - lol yes i know its get big, but i already have a pair of siccors wating to prune sitting next to the tank.

Heater - my room was an addition so I dont have central air, I have a window shaker, but because of that I can keep my room at a stable temp, and conviently enough the tank sits at 80 :)

Light - I have ony of the little screw in flourescents from walmart, dont recall the output, but they are BRIGHT
Old 09-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #6 
Alex09

The wattage and kelvin temp will usually be on the base of the bulb itself. Water wisteria does best in medium light so figuring out how much you have would be most ideal for the plant.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #7 
JorgeBurrito

Red Cherry Shrimp are neither as aggressive nor as large as Ghost Shrimp. You can go as high as 5/gallon, although 3/gallon is probably a little bit more reasonable. The Riccia Fluitans should provide them with some good cover so they will probably be OK with your Betta, even if he is aggressive towards them. Others have brought up the issue with those matte heaters. A sponge filter will be fine for that setup. I would avoid adding the shrimp until you have the tank well established and cycled, RCS are quite sensitive to ammonia.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #8 
CjRager89

So when I got home tonight I checked the tank...

Temperature - still sitting at about 80
Lighting - 10 watt cfl
pH - 7
Ammonia - Almost non-existant. 1ppm would be a stretch

Which from my research seems to be good for the plants and the critters...correct?

Anything else I should be checking??? Should/could I add plant fertalizer to the tank to help get it going before the plants arrive? Also, not sure how much of a difference it makes, but my substrate is black caribsea sand.

Last edited by CjRager89; 09-26-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #9 
CjRager89

Got my little shrimpies in today, and by the looks of it several of them are already berried. Its finally starting to look like a fish tank!! Plants should be in by the end of the week
Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #10 
Vincent

I hope your Betta doesn't mind shrimp :P. I had 3 red cherry shrimp in my tank before I bought Becca (pink female VT) that she is in love with literally. I tried adding 3 ghost and she just kills them when they get near my red cherrys, its kinda cute in a wierd protective kind of way. that and she loves to cuddle with her big poofy marimo moss ball with her RCS(she lays underneath/on-top of it and gets mad when I take it out haha).
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote