Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #1 
ramya

Betta boy (Midnight) is sick, please help!

Hi, I really need some help for my betta, Midnight. I got him last week and had him in a 2 gallon, unfiltered, unheated tank. I was in the process of cycling his new 10 gallon tank for him with Nutrafin "cycle".
The pH, and every other parameter is normal. The water temp was about 22 C (72 F). I did water changes everyday and he seemed happy and not stressed. I fed him 2-3 Hikari Bio-gold pellets everyday and frozen pea twice during the week.
So, it seems like he is suffering from multiple symptoms/problems. He has not pooped since I time I got him. On day 7 (Friday) since getting him, I noticed that his stomach had a small bulge and his face was pale. I added some aquarium salt to his bowl. From then on things have gotten worse. I tried to heat my 2 gallon with a heater and I could not control the temperature. That stressed him out a lot. Then I took the heater away and wrapped all my woolen clothes around the tank (I was almost sure he will be dead :(, he swam slow). Today morning it looks like he has white spots on his body. At this point, I moved him to his new tank (thinking that at least the water will be warmer (stress again). I have the heater still at 72F (same as bowl). I went to the pet store and got Nox Ich and poured about 9 drops into this tank. He seems to have lost color under his face. His fins are not clamped and he can still flare. His stomach has also lost color and still has the bulge and maybe his head also seems a little bulged. He was so sleek when I got him. I did not feed him yesterday (saturday) and today. But i gave him a small piece of boiled pea today. I am really worked up about him. I really love him very very much and it breaks my heart to see him suffer.
Please tell me how I can help him! I am afraid to increase the tank temperature because my temp controls are not great and may end up increasing it quickly. Currently the filter us off and heater is on.
(I have attached some pictures, not very clear though, and that spot on the fin is my camera's spot)
Attached Images

ramya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 
ashleyy

I know how you feel. My betta is suffering from what seems to be internal parasites.

His stomach is bulging and all of him is pale. I have started giving him garlic juice soaked pellets and tomorrow I will try to find medication for him.

Right I have him in his tank with nothing in it. Just him, water, a heater and his hide out. So I can monitor his poopy.

Raising his temperature seems like it would help him out, but if it will fluctuate then I suppose I wouldn't recommend it. He should be at least 75, maybe higher since he's sick right now.

It's so hard to diagnosis these little guys. I'm so tempted to take him to a marine biologist and making him me a definite answer! lol.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #3 
vaygirl

72 is way too cold for him. When they're cold their metabolisms slow down and they don't digest their food well. They get constipated. If the heater has a dial just raise it by two degrees (or small increments if it doesn't have numbers) and then check it half hourly. Once it's up 2 degrees, raise it a bit more and keep doing that until you have him around 78-80F. Bettas can handle up to 85 so don't worry too much. As long as you bring his temp up slowly then he should be okay. Don't feed him for maybe three or four days and wait for him to poo.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #4 
ramya

He definitely has Ich and I feel bad not feeding his as well :'(
Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #5 
vaygirl

He can go weeks without food. There's no point in feeding him if he can't poo it out. It will only harm him more.

I'd suggest googling Ich treatments. That way you understand what you're dealing with. Do your research. It'll help TONS to understand what you're dealing with. It's important to keep your temp in your tank up while treating. You can treat ich with just heat and aquarium salt. I did it with Kilo when I first got him. I hope he feels better soon. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 
ramya

update

I have started treating him with Nox Ich. What I find strange about the stomach is that it is a bit swollen even after no feeding (I would imagine it would go down, if its constipation). He has no pineconing. Although I have never seen a betta poop before, I imagine it will be like goldfish's- kind of long and stringy. I am on the outlook for this.
About the Noc Ich treatment, i was wondering if I should change water. On the bottle it says use 1 drop/gal for 3 consecutive days. Should I atleast do a partial water change? (Nox Ich has 0.5% Malachite green and 0.5% salt NaCl)

Thanks for all you help peeps.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #7 
FuulieQ

Actually, people say that betta poop looks more like a cinnamon bun than a long string.

It's hard to catch my boy in the act, though, so I can't be sure. I only know what I clean out. ;)
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 
ramya

update

I fed his 2 pieces of pea today. My stupid heater is not working (or sparingly working) and I am not able to get the temp high enough. Its now at 24C (75F). My Midnight baby is sitting on the gravel (occasionally, even when I am around). His Ich is still present (its my day 2 of Nox Ich treatment). I am stressed out that hes not doing well :(
PS: I dont think he has pooped. Hes in his 10 gallon, gravel tank and I cannot tell if he pooped. His stomach is white in color with a small bulge. (otherwise he is bright blue)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #9 
ramya

Ich seems to have gone! I am sure those pesky creatures are still around in the gravel. I have the temp ~82F. I am continuing with Nox Ich treatment for 3 more days and will keep this temp stable throughout.

Regarding constipation, I had stopped feeding Midnight since last Saturday. It has been 6 days. I have fed him a small piece of pea twice in this time and one pre-soaked HIkario bio gold pellet. His stomach still has a small discolored bulge. I am not able to tell if he has pooped. He seems very hungry though. Everytime I try to take something from the tank he swims towards my hand.
What would you all recommend as the next step? - Epsom salt or daphnia?

Also I was wondering if there is a way to distinguish dropsy from constipation. Midnight eats and is active. Although the swelling in his stomach has not subsided even after 6 days of fasting. His head has a slight overall bulge as well. Is it DROPSY?

Thanks all for your advice.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #10 
wystearya

I thought that peas were not suitable food for Bettas. They are carnivores. If I remember right, I read that the peas can -cause- constipation.

I'm no expert! But I would read up on feeding and foods.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote