Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #11 
dyhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
When I used the Wardley brand pellets, they seemed to be a little big for my fish, you could try crushing them up a little.
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

*edit: tried this immediately. Ryu is happily munching away on the pieces. Thanks a ton.

Last edited by dyhoward; 09-27-2010 at 02:50 PM.
dyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #12 
Adastra

Looking at the picture of the fish in your avatar--from his silhouette he looks a bit bloated to me. Staying at the surface like he is in that picture is not normal, he likely is having swim bladder trouble as a result of being overfed. This kind of problem will go away with time, so don't worry too much about it. A heater will definitely help, since in cold blooded animals, temperature determines the speed of their entire metabolism. When fish are kept in cooler temperatures than they are adapted to survive in, digestion slows, causing food to get trapped in the gut and bloat--putting pressure on the swim bladder, causing it to malfunction. This is why he is having trouble sinking.

Once the food is passed safely and the pressure on the swim bladder goes down, he should be perfectly normal. Have you seen him pass any feces yet? If so, can you describe what it looks like? It can help us determine whether internal parasites might be causing his loss of appetite and distended belly. A better picture would also be very helpful.

You can buy packaged frozen brine shrimp and daphnia from most pet/fish stores--these will last longer than live food and they're certified sterilized so you don't have to worry about your betta getting sick from them as long as you treat the frozen food properly (the same rules as raw frozen human food, i.e. don't refreeze defrosted food, don't leave it out on the counter for more than a few minutes, etc.) A small amount of thawed brine shrimp or dapnia will give him a shot of fiber to help him push the food in his system along. Brine shrimp and daphnia are mostly exoskeleton (fiber) so they're great for constipation, but they're not something that should be a staple food for your betta. I use frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia once or twice a week with OmegaOne pellets and New Life Spectrum as their staple food. It's a good idea to soak any dried food you feed your betta in a little tank water before feeding. If you think about it, bettas weren't designed to eat bready air filled foods--it's kind of like when we eat uncooked rice. As it takes on moisture, it expands in the stomach, causing bloating and discomfort.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #13 
ashleyy

I use wardleys pellet and he wouldn't ever look at them when I put them in there. So now I crush it up with a bottle cap and sprinkle it in there and he loves it! My betta also goes crazy for Tetra's BettaMin Tropical Medley Flakes. I don't know, I suppose WalMart fed him something similar haha.

Just make sure to keep his water super clean if he is in a bowl. And to keep the temp around 75-80 degrees :]

My betta spends a lot of time at the top when he is sleepy so he won't have to swim very far to the top to breathe.

If your bowl is big enough a little cave for him to hover in or some silk plants would be great for him. :]
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #14 
dyhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Looking at the picture of the fish in your avatar--from his silhouette he looks a bit bloated to me. Staying at the surface like he is in that picture is not normal, he likely is having swim bladder trouble as a result of being overfed. This kind of problem will go away with time, so don't worry too much about it. A heater will definitely help, since in cold blooded animals, temperature determines the speed of their entire metabolism. When fish are kept in cooler temperatures than they are adapted to survive in, digestion slows, causing food to get trapped in the gut and bloat--putting pressure on the swim bladder, causing it to malfunction. This is why he is having trouble sinking.

Once the food is passed safely and the pressure on the swim bladder goes down, he should be perfectly normal. Have you seen him pass any feces yet? If so, can you describe what it looks like? It can help us determine whether internal parasites might be causing his loss of appetite and distended belly. A better picture would also be very helpful.

You can buy packaged frozen brine shrimp and daphnia from most pet/fish stores--these will last longer than live food and they're certified sterilized so you don't have to worry about your betta getting sick from them as long as you treat the frozen food properly (the same rules as raw frozen human food, i.e. don't refreeze defrosted food, don't leave it out on the counter for more than a few minutes, etc.) A small amount of thawed brine shrimp or dapnia will give him a shot of fiber to help him push the food in his system along. Brine shrimp and daphnia are mostly exoskeleton (fiber) so they're great for constipation, but they're not something that should be a staple food for your betta. I use frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia once or twice a week with OmegaOne pellets and New Life Spectrum as their staple food. It's a good idea to soak any dried food you feed your betta in a little tank water before feeding. If you think about it, bettas weren't designed to eat bready air filled foods--it's kind of like when we eat uncooked rice. As it takes on moisture, it expands in the stomach, causing bloating and discomfort.
Thanks for the heads up, it does appear that he just floats to the surface sometimes. I bet that is a bladder problem. I just got him, and he hasn't eaten much, so I know its not me over feeding him. I'll just make sure not to give him too much. I'll also keep an eye out for feces. I'll let you know.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #15 
dyhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyy View Post
I use wardleys pellet and he wouldn't ever look at them when I put them in there. So now I crush it up with a bottle cap and sprinkle it in there and he loves it! My betta also goes crazy for Tetra's BettaMin Tropical Medley Flakes. I don't know, I suppose WalMart fed him something similar haha.

Just make sure to keep his water super clean if he is in a bowl. And to keep the temp around 75-80 degrees :]

My betta spends a lot of time at the top when he is sleepy so he won't have to swim very far to the top to breathe.

If your bowl is big enough a little cave for him to hover in or some silk plants would be great for him. :]
Thanks! I do have a couple of silk plants in there for him. He seems to enjoy it. I may get him a bigger bowl or tank when time & funds allow, so I'd get a cave or more plants then.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #16 
dyhoward

Thanks for everyones help! Today I went out and got Ryu a 2 gallon tank, and some food with higher fiber and hes already more active. I appreciate the help!