Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #1 
Drift

Question Fin healing time/Popeye

My little butterfly halfmoon Apollo is no longer a butterfly! I noticed several days ago the start of fin rot. :( I skipped out on a partial water change because life got obnoxiously busy. He is my only one left in a smaller tank. 2.5gallon and it's unheated. I was getting ready to move him over into his side of the split 10 gallon when I noticed. He now has some torn spots and the white at the end of his fins is gone and was a darker color. It didn't look like fin rot, but I decided 100% water changes with some salt shall do. I did 1 teaspoon for 2.5 gallons. It went away. Now he has popeye but only in one eye.
I read there are many causes behind popeye. I'm thinking that heat fluctuations or trauma is possible. He only has a silk plant and floating log but he wedges himself between the log and wall. So I am leaning toward trauma.
What is the best way to deal with the popeye? How long will it take for me to see improvement? Should I not add salt anymore?
His fins are as normal as they are going to get. How long does it usually take for them to regenerate? He had a little split that I want to heal before placing him in his new tank.
I placed a heater in today and I am doing 100% changes daily with stress coat and salt.

Advice?
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 
Capricorn

For his fins, it depends entirely on how clean you keep his water and how much damage was done. My HM was missing about half of his tail when I got him, and now, about three-four weeks later (I've lost track), it's not quite fully regrown, but almost.

I'm pretty sure just clean water will help both of these, though I'm not familiar with popeye.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #3 
Saroar

There is a medication for Pop eye, but I can't remember what it's called.
It's something with an Ma... Sorry, that's all I got. >_<
Saroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #4 
Drift

Maracyn 2 is what you are thinking of. I'd prefer to know if its trauma related if I should medicate. =/ I don't want to medicate unless I need to. Even though I think I own almost every medication under the sun. XD

Edit: I'm doing 100% daily water changes in his 2.5 gallon. Well more like 95% I don't want to net him with already having fin damage on his delicate halfmoon tail. :P
I caught it right at the beginning. There is two small little splits and all of the ends that was tipped white is gone. So hopefully he'll be fully healed within two weeks since it was such a little amount. Thanks!

Last edited by Drift; 09-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM   #5 
Adastra

If the popeye is bacteria related, Maracyn-2 should help since it is often caused by gram negative aeromonas bacteria. Epsom salt can also help reduce the swelling within the eye, so that is something to consider as well. Hopefully this has taught you to be diligent with your water changes. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #6 
Drift

How much epsom salt per gallon should you use? Is it ok to just leave it in, or should you use it as a bath?
Should I just go a head and treat with maracyn 2?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #7 
Adastra

I would go for the epsom salt first. You have two options:

Epsom Salt Bath: In a separate container, prepare water of the same temperature or use water from the betta’s tank and dissolve 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt per gallon. Slowly adjust the betta to the water over about 5 minutes--acclimation time is much shorter because the fish shouldn’t be exposed to this amount of Epsom salt for too long--then allow the betta to sit in the bath for 15 minutes. Carefully monitor the betta, and remove him or her if they show signs of distress. Consider changing the water in the betta’s tank during the bath so that the fish will have clean water to recover in. This treatment can be repeated once in the same day, but if repeated, the duration of the bath should be shortened to 5-10 minutes.

Epsom Salt Leave-in Treatment: In a separate container, prepare water of the same temperature, and mix in one tablespoon per five gallons of dissolved Epsom salt. Acclimate the fish to the salted water for at least a half hour. Alternatively, if you used water from the betta’s tank, you can transfer the betta into the water directly and dissolve the salt in another container--slowly adding the dissolved salts to the water over the course of at least a half hour. The duration of this treatment is three to five days--during this time, do water changes as necessary, replacing the dissolved salts as necessary.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #8 
Drift

Thank you. I shall grab some Epsom Salt tonight on my way home from work. :)