Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 
HaSSoN

Please Help... Fin rot

Hi all, i got my betta now almost a year and he was doing great
until about 1.5 month ago... part of
his fins has gone and its getting worse... at the moment looks like it stopped but it happens few times
looks like he is less active since last week... i dont know mybe its just me but im sure that the fin rot isnt right

i dont have thermostat for water
i change 30% of water every week
i dont have a filter
dont have air stone
and dont have any mates.

i feed him with pellets and bloodworms
i feed him 2 pellets and 2 worms every day

i dont add anything to water when i change it.

im planning to go to pet shop tomorrow and get him new tank (bigger) and thermostat. can you guys give me some tips about moving my betta to his new place ?
should i get him a filter too ???

Last edited by HaSSoN; 09-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.
HaSSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 
The Fighter

If it is fin rot a good way to treat it is mela fix it worked well for me and just saying they need warm clean water fin rot comes from dirty water if you can stop it early enough his tail will grow back a water conditioner is good to have put it in the new water after you change it
The Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 
The Fighter

well a filter would always help
The Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #4 
Adastra

How big is the tank, and are you on well water? Almost everyone gets their water from a source that treats the water with chlorine and chloramine--these are toxic to fish, and have to be removed with special dechlorinating chemicals. If you get your water through your city, you must get a dechlorinator and begin using it ASAP. I highly recommend Seachem Prime, since it is concentrated, you get the most product for your money and it lasts a long time.

How big is your tank? Please keep in mind that fish constantly expel a toxin called ammonia through their gills as they respirate. This is kind of like their form of urine, and it quickly pollutes the small quantity of water they are kept in. In nature, this toxin gets converted by specialized bacteria into less toxic compounds that are absorbed by plants. These toxins are also diluted by much greater quantities of water.

Since you don't have any of these components, you must compensate for that with water changes. Any unfiltered fish tank -must- have frequent 100% water changes. The reason for this is simply because if you change 50% of the water one day, and 50% the next day, it adds up to 100%, but that doesn't mean you've done a 100% change. Inevitably, some of the contaminated water is left over, plus whatever the fish has added to it between those changes, so over time, partial changes become less and less effective. 30% changes weekly in an unfiltered container simply is not adequate.

By thermostat, do you mean heater? Bettas definitely need heaters--I recommend only heaters that have an adjustable temperature dial. These will give you stability and temperature control. Other heaters often don't heat the water enough, or overheat it depending on the temperature of your house. They are a waste of money.

I recommend getting a tank that is at least 2 gallons, because quality heaters are designed for use in tanks 2 gallons or larger. It is best to get the largest tank you can manage--5 gallons would be great, since the larger the tank, the less maintenance is required. If you got a filter for a 5G tank, the filter could undergo a process called the nitrogen cycle, this means the beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia in nature will be present and at work in your tank, detoxifying the ammonia so that 100% changes are no longer necessary. In that case your 30% change schedule will be totally adequate for caring for your fish. Wouldn't that be nice?

You should definitely research the Nitrogen Cycle and purchase a liquid master test kit at the pet store--without one you can't complete the nitrogen cycle safely.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #5 
HaSSoN

thanks for the tips :D
just to be sure... i heard filters hurts betta fish because they pumping water and it can hurt they fins. and also makes flows that can stress them... is it true ?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #6 
Adastra

You definitely want to get a weak filter since they are a still water fish, but weak power filters can be baffled with a simple technique--there is a tutorial for how to do baffle a power filter in the Betta Habitats section. Sponge filters work with an air pump, they are a very basic type of filter that is cheap and creates very little flow, so they are optimal for small betta tanks. It is totally acceptable to not filter your betta's tank, as long as you realize that by not filtering the tank, you have to commit to doing frequent 100% water changes.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 
HaSSoN

I got new tank, filter, heater and water conditioner :D
thx for tips !!! :D
one las question : what temp should i set the heater now when my betta's fins are unter treatment ?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #8 
Adastra

You want to set it close to the room temperature and turn it up very very slowly, one degree every couple of hours, until it is up to 80-82 degrees. Turning it up immediately will cause the temperature to swing, which will put stress on your fish. If your house is particularly cold, like 70-72 degrees, you might want to stretch out this process over a couple of days.

Since you decided to get a filter, you should really take the time to research the Nitrogen Cycle. Understanding how this process works will help you maintain your tank and do what is necessary to keep the water in your tank healthy for your fish.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #9 
HaSSoN

ok his in his new home :D
he looks a bit stressy but its for his own good
made him 100% water change and water conditioner
looks like hes a beat struggeling with wher flow but its not to serious
hope he will get better
Old 09-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #10 
Adastra

That sounds great. What type of filter did you end up getting? Perhaps I can suggest a way to weaken it a bit.