Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Boyfriend has a betta!!

Well, technically his little BROTHER has one, but as soon as the week is over, he will be Nathan's! :)

It's one of those stupid assignments, you know, the ecosystem thing? The requirements are: one fish in a 1 gallon jar, at least one plant, and it has to stay up at the school for a school week. Thankfully, he will let them feed the fish and do at least partial water changes, so we're hoping he will do ok for his first few days.. As soon as that assignment is over, the betta goes home to a new 10 gallon tank!!! Nathan is switching one of our baby leopard geckos to our 20 gallon anyway, so we have a new tank! Right now is all about cleaning cleaning cleaning! He has one live plant(thanks to the school project) and will soon hopefully have more, or at least some fake plants.
In the middle of the school week Nathan will be purchasing the heater as well as a nice filter and whatever else we need..

The betta himself is a little red crowntail! He was the most active at the store, flaring occasionally at the other fish, watching people walk by, and trying to desperately swim in his little tiny cup! He is so ready for a big tank! Nathan admits, the one gallon little jar just seems so tiny for him! :) His dad doesn't agree though..He's one of those people who proudly proclaim 'bettas LIKE little puddles!' so we are just ignoring him anyway!

Pictures will come soon! :) He's red, but flashes a very bright blue, not like the others in the store that had a dull blue, it's pretty intense! Nathan said it looks like he's got shiny insect scales But they are hard to catch on camera...

Here is the only pic he sent me! He's cuute!

purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

They bought him at a small aquarium store that, GASP! Knew what they were talking about! They suggested that he buy at least a five gallon, and even talked about cycling! Their fish were all healthy, and they carried a good variety! Of course, their main focus is on saltwater animals, so bettas aren't the big thing, but you can tell they love their fishies!

Here's one more picture! It shows how much he sparkles XD Taken with an iphone, though..so not the best quality!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 09-26-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #3 
Duskdog

Wow, what a beautiful little guy! He's got nice color.
Duskdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Oh yeah! Nathan did GREAT choosing him! :) I can't wait to get clearer pictures! (or better yet, go home and see him myself! XD)
Old 09-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Woohoo!! Bubba has been moved over to the 20 gallon! :) Now it's time to clean clean clean! (or for me to sit on the phone telling Nathan to clean! :3 )
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #6 
nochoramet

Aww! I'm so glad y'all are gonna take care of him! He's a cutie :3
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

:) He's so funny! Nathan accidentally dropped a few more pellets than he should have in there, though :O ! He scooped the extras out as soon as I told him how tiny their tummies are! The little no name guy was rather curious about all the craziness going on! He had to inspect as Nathan removed each of the leftover bits of food!

X3 I'm sooo excited! I know it's not mine, but it's close enough! My long distance betta..lol!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #9 
Capricorn

It's great that you're able to 'rescue' him after the project is done. (:

At my high school we did something like that, but we used live plants and worms only, and released them when we were finished. I've seen some schools where you have a 2L soda bottle closed off and you're not allowed to feed or open it with things like fish and hermit crabs inside. ):

But I'm glad for you, congrats <3
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #10 
purplemuffin

Yuck! Yeah, I don't like these assignments: My biggest problem with this one is he encourages the students to buy interesting animals to use, but he doesn't suggest they look into their care. One girl has a half gallon jar with an african dwarf frog, 2 snails, and a giant rock with a sad little house gecko! :( That is not going to end well