Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Males and Females?

Hay guys!

Everything I am about to post is completely hypothetical- I am not planning on doing this, it's just a thought.

I was thinking about betta sororities and it me think about the personalities of fish. Females can be put together only if the temperate (?) is right. Both females need to be mildly tempered, and overall, a non-aggressive fish. As many people like to emphasize, some females can be as aggressive as males. But can't males ALSO be as mild as females? It's rare, I know, but it sometimes happens. If that did, would it be possible to put the male and females together? Just a thought, to get you guys thinking. :)

Let me know!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:12 PM   #2 
Alex09

Some people have kept males and females before. From what I have read, the male will choose (approx) 1-3 females he "likes" and then kill off all the rejects - That is, if the females dont kill him first. Not sure if this is true but I remember reading it on another forum from a guy who kept males with a few females...

Personally, I wouldnt do it. Would you put in two males in the same tank because you think they are "mild mannered"? They may be nice today but even bettas are subject to random bouts of anger and aggression.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

Thanks! I just thought it was an interesting topic. :)
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

About 3 males and about 60 females in a huge tank would be the best bet. Preferably if they're siblings and I'm talking a HUGE!!!!! As in like 1000 gallons (like a pond).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #5 
BettaGirl290

I WISH I HAD A BETTA POND!
:( oops caps, im too lazy to change it, Rofl
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 
Fawnleaf

lol A betta pond would be awesome! But I'd have no where to put it! lol
Old 09-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 
Adastra

A terrible idea. No responsible betta owner would ever house a male with a male or a female with a male. No responsible betta owner would house females together either unless in a closely monitored, appropriately stocked and decorated sorority situation. These fish have been selectively bred to do nothing but be efficient killers of one another for several hundred years or more--they can and will kill and seriously injure each other even in very large spaces. Don't test your luck.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I have a 300 gallon pond but it's too cold for bettas.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #9 
Fawnleaf

I wasn't planning on that! Like I said, it was hypothetical
Old 09-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #10 
carpenter547
Banned

i dunno eventually i am looking into building a tank with a 96 x 30 x 30 inch foot print it will be brackish and stocked with violet gobies mollies and some thing that eats mollies :) mabey i will get lucky and the mollies will breed fast enough to feed the preditor. any way.

after the gobies die with a tank that size and heavy planted i would consider trying a betta mix sex tank but it would be HEAVY planted with alot of caves stocking would be 3 males and 9 - 12 fems.

yes there would be fights and prolly some deaths but once the natural hierarchy is established there shouldn't be a problem and the numbers in theory would allow for agression to be spread out and give time for healing and the plants and caves would allow for hiding from angry others.

but i am not a betta expert so this is some thing that would need a great deal of research and time to do. and would be many many years in the future since my violet gobies could live for 10 years.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote