Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #21 
CjRager89

A betta is the only fish that is not only content but able to absolutly love life alone in a small tank! lol
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #22 
vaygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjRager89 View Post
A betta is the only fish that is not only content but able to absolutly love life alone in a small tank! lol
And to completely train their humans to do what they like. :P

I didn't insinuate that they have a choice. They literally have a choice. They mate, or they don't. They choose. Yes, they have a lack of options. I did too, growing up in a small town. I still chose my husband. I turned down quite a few losers before I did. :P

Meh, either way it's a personal choice. You like them passive and would like to see a tank full of many of them in different colors. I like to see them alone in their tanks with a complimentary decor. Like I said, neither is wrong. Just different.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #23 
FuulieQ

It's possible. I once read a scientific journal where monkeys were bred to be shy.

I think if people have issues with breeding peaceful bettas, then they ought to look closer at what we've already done to Betta Splendens as a species... it's pretty dramatically different from wild type as far as "different" goes when it comes to genetics.

If you want an aggressive betta, just don't buy a peaceful betta. ;) But it seems judgmental to me to down other people because they want something different out of their fish.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #24 
carpenter547
Banned

starting to get the feeling that this is one of those ideas i am going to be way out in left feild with.
shoot might take some imbellis and breed the peace then mix in some splendis for colors and tail then sell the infertile hybreeds to the general public so no one else turns a dime off of my work LOL.
just kiding haha.... but seriously naw just kidding .... buutt....
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #25 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter547 View Post
and i do think that the ability to have a large tank filled with many bettas would be worth the effort.
If you dislike the look of imbellis, but like their behavior--why not start with imbellis? There really isn't anything wrong with splendens, in my opinion, they're beautiful and their aggression is part of what makes them desirable to me. Show judges look for a good deportment in splendens for a reason--aggression is what makes these fish who they are. It is their identity and people will be very reluctant to change that despite the allure of keeping a lot of splendens in one tank.

Theoretically, if you started with imbellis or smaragdina, you could selectively breed them to more docile splendens to get some of their fin and color characteristics--after all, the dragon trait, giant trait, and wild type stripes came from breeding splendens to various wild types. Using imbellis/smaragdina based stock, you'd have a higher probability for success in creating a fancy wild type that can live peacefully in colonies. This makes much more sense to me than trying to undo several hundred years of breeding for aggression. I think people would be very interested in fancy imbellis or smaragdina--if you mixed them with splendens I would definitely start with metallic bettas, such as coppers and dragons, because it would play up the imbellis' stripes. I think it is very important for you to keep the integrity of whatever wild type you choose, though, and keep the influence of splendens as minimal as possible.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #26 
1fish2fish

I still don't see your point. It's bad that Betta splendens were selectively bred but dogs, horses, cows, chickens, cats, peaceful fish, reptiles, flowers, fruits, vegetables...... all of these are good? Its the same thing. Everything I mentioned has been selectively bred by humans to have the characteristics we want and get rid of the characteristics we don't.

Personally I don't want to see a colony of Betta splendens because to me they would not be the same fish. Just the way I wouldn't want a Doberman Pinscher who loves everyone he meets or a Labrador who doesn't want to swim.

Starting a new or hybridized species (although I'm generally not about hybridization) would be much better than trying to take a good thing and change it just because you don't like one aspect of it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #27 
Adastra

The thing about starting with imbellis or smaragdina would be that it would probably save a lot of betta lives--you'd have to do a lot of experimenting to find "docile" splendens.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #28 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Just the way I wouldn't want a Doberman Pinscher who loves everyone he meets or a Labrador who doesn't want to swim.
In this case, though, it depends on how the dog was raised... bettas are naturally, instinctively aggressive. My lab HATES water. Cannot STAND it. Does it make his breeder, or he himself a bad example of the breed? No. Just makes him weird :P

But if you really want calm bettas, start with bettas that are naturally calmer. The bettas we have now have been bred for too long for the specific goal of being aggressive. To try and change that would be incredibly time-consuming, and would probably fail the minute you tried to introduce new blood to the experiment, reverting back to the aggression, or being killed in breeding.
Whether you want to change the current splendens, or create a new species, it'll still take time. I'd say, if you REALLY, REALLY want calm bettas, try from another calmer species. Otherwise you're not going to get very far...
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #29 
JKfish

Basically Carpenter, trying to breed for calm bettas doesn't make much sense. It'd be time consuming (but then again, isn't line breeding?), and it'd make different bettas that aren't quite like our splendens, and in some ways it could almost be inethical. There are some bettas that are calm (simba was very much so), but in my experience, they lack the spark and little fish giant attitude that many of us like.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #30 
1fish2fish

Not to nit pick but IMO a dog that doesn't have the correct temperament for his breed isn't a good example of his breed. Not a bad dog, just not something that should be bred. I consider bettas the same way, a non aggressive betta or one with neurosis is not a betta I would breed, regardless of form and finnage.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote