Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #31 
MrVampire181

Imbellis is believed to be the same species as splendens, try smaragdina.

Imbelis
Splendens
Smaragdina

All are aggressive, splendens being the most aggressive.

I agree with what Adastra said, start with imbellis or smaragdina and breed them to dragon splendens...those would some amazing fish!! Even though these crosses have been made to create dragons in the first place lol.

IDK what finnage you'd be able to do, long fins are less aggressive but can damamge the fins more easily. HMPKs might be a good start.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #32 
carpenter547
Banned

the only problem with hybirds is

the only problems with hybirds is that they can get unpredictable breeding.

if you were to cross splendis and imbellis and trust me i prefer short fined imbellis to splendis and make your own breed you might as well go the rest of the way and patent it and sell only the non fertile generations to main tain your monopoly.

just saying.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #33 
MrVampire181

Actually hybrids are everywhere...buried deep in the gene pool. Dragon comes from imbellis and splendens crosses. So basicly you already have hybrids everywhere.

I say just start with imbellis if that's what you like....they have long fin and HMPK versions.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #34 
carpenter547
Banned

yeah i know i can't remember the exact source so please don't quote me on this.

the gist of it was yes you can cross splendis and imbellis and he offspring will remain breedable
for about 5 - 6 generations then they will no longer be able to be bred with imbellis or splendis.

i could have read wrong. my statement was refering to that phenomanon if it truely exists.
rather than stating all hybirds won't breed since that would be totally wrong.
however if it is true it presents a great business angle on it right? yup these bettas can
be kept together with each other male and female and you can get them to breed with
each other but none others and the brood size shrinks with each generation. biotech has been spening billions to come up with that in corn LOL and it is free with bettas ;).

call it common law trademark LOL
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #35 
carpenter547
Banned

oh and one last point to make *sorry for the seperate post missed the edit window when i thought of this*
every one whether or not they are going to admit it on this forum *i think elitist posturing similar to e-peen issues* wants to keep more than one male per tank and finds one male per tank less than appealing since there is litterally thousands of thread on this forum dedicated to "what can i keep with my betta". which indicates they are looking for something more and are having issues with the agressive solitary issue of bettas.
so given the same finnage and colors a lack of agression is a universally longed for set up. :)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #36 
CodeRed

tbh, the idea of multiple males in one tank does NOT appeal to me. Bettas are, imo, center pieces to a tank. Too many of them in one tank would look... crowded, to me. You wouldn't know what to look at, who to focus on. So no, not everyone on this site wants males in the same tank (;
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #37 
Capricorn

Actually, no, assuming that everyone wants to keep more than one male betta per tank is wrong. Making assumptions isn't supporting your argument.

I love my fish the way they are. I find more beauty in giving each one a space to call their own instead of lumping them together. In the wild, a male betta would chase another from its territory.. why should that be any different in captivity?

People spend too much time breeding for the sake of breeding instead of breeding for the betterment of the health of the breed. Making it possible to keep males and females in the same tank? Does this world NEED any more bettas out there? Everyone wants the "better, prettier, I want you this way" betta instead of just accepting the fish the way it is.

I'd rather spend my time and energy teaching people how to properly care of a single betta than breeding a sociable fish so pet stores can have even more rotting away on their shelves. I stopped at the store today to look at tanks.. they had over one hundred cups piled up on several shelves, filled with dying, sick bettas. Why do we need more of that?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #38 
1fish2fish

You'll never catch me day dreaming of multiple males in one tank. The only tank mates I keep with Bettas are snails and/or shrimp and the only reason I have those are to help with tank maintenance on planted tanks cleaning up dead plant matter and algae.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #39 
vaygirl

I have NO epeen (that is the stupidest term. I feel stupid just typing it). I'm an almost 40 year old married woman. I know how to say what I want and I have zero reason to lie about it.

I do see a lot of those posts but we ALL know about the MFS or MTS thing. You get one, you want another. It's easier to stick more fish in your original tank then get a whole new setup. I don't think it's as much a desire to have male bettas be community fish as it is to get more fishies and get them cheaply. And a LOT of our members are kids who only are allowed so many tanks and want oh so many fish.

Last edited by vaygirl; 09-29-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #40 
Capricorn

Unfortunately I can't edit my post, but I wanted to add that calling us "elitist" for not "admitting" something that isn't even true is offensive to me and I'm sure rude to others. >.> You might want to be a little more polite with your choice of words. I respect that this thread is about your opinion, but the phrase "elitist" is not a word to be thrown around lightly, and implies that we think we are better than anyone else on this forum, which is not true. We're here to help others care for their fish, not be all high-and-mighty on them because they don't have the same knowledge base.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote