Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #1 
luminosa

Harlequin rasboras, cory cats to share 10 gallon?

I am cycling a 10 gallon, and looking at getting Amadeus some tankmates. Harlequin rasboras sound like nice fishes, would they be ok with a betta in a 10 gallon? How many could I have? I was also hoping to get some cory cats. I know they should be in groups of at least 4. Would that overstock my tank?
luminosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #2 
JKfish

Yes, that'd be overstocking.

Harlequins are awesome little fish, though very easily intimidated, which makes them better suited for larger community tanks without any agressive fish. Mine were fine with puffy for about a week, but then he started attacking them. Simba was fine with them for quite a while, but eventually, they got really nervous around him, so I had to take him out as well. For a while afterwards, they were little basket cases and were afraid of everything. Personally, I don't think it's good for their health to be with bettas in a 10 gallon.

Maybe just your betta and the cories would work.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 
PeiMai

a lot of people will tell you that the cory's will get huge the answer is yes .....slowly I have been doing an experiment combining over filtering with lots of naturally planted plants and have almost emaculate water conditions with two Julii cory's three harlequin rasboras three bloodfin tetras 4 neons and a female betta .....in a 5 gallon. So go figure that out. I test the water constantly and I have really not had to do all that much to it. Granted my plants have gotten Gi-normous, but they are all healthy and the female looks like she is ready to breed with a very healthy egg spot and very bright colors.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #4 
Stormfin

Isn't your 5g overstocked with 13 fish?
Stormfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #5 
Alex09

Dont listen to pei mai. he thinks that by stuffing 13 fish in a 5 gal with a powerful filter and live plants everything will turn out alright. This is simply not true. even if the water is perfectly clean that doesn't address the issue that fish still need swimming space.

you can have a 10 gal with:
-1 betta + 3-4 cories
-1 Betta + 5 rasboras

I believe it would be overstocking to have both.

Last edited by Alex09; 09-16-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #6 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Dont listen to pei mai. he thinks that by stuffing 13 fish in a 5 gal with a powerful filter and live plants everything will turn out alright. This is simply not true. even if the water is perfectly clean that doesn't address the issue that fish still need swimming space.

you can have a 10 gal with:
-1 betta + 3-4 cories
-1 Betta + 5 rasboras

I believe it would be overstocking to have both.
Oh but Cory's need to be in groups of 6 and even 3-4 would be overstocking it according to you.
You can put A shrimp and A betta in it according to this guy that's it.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #7 
Adastra

I would just get the cories and leave out the rasboras, this way you have enough room to fill out a full school of cories. Pygmy cories are the smallest type available, so if you choose these rather than a larger variety you can get 6-8 of them easily.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 
Stormfin

All I've ever seen about Cory's is that they need groups of three or more not six or more.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #9 
Adastra

Well, you're not taking into account that they're a schooling fish. Three fish is not a school--it's three fish. I don't know what sources you're using, but it doesn't make logical sense to assume that a fish that swims in schools of hundreds or even thousands of individuals in nature would be happy with just two others of their own kind. With any social fish, even non-schoolers like goldfish, the more the merrier. They will be happier, healthier, and live longer in larger groups.

Looking at your signature, you should really research the social needs of your fish as well as the growth potential of your crayfish. Your kuhli would be much happier with a school of other kuhlis, and many crayfish sold in pet stores get quite large and end up eating small fish like guppies.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-17-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 AM   #10 
Stormfin

My crayfish is a baby, (caught in the wild), not even an inch long he's only in the tank cause my other one is being set up, I'm well aware that large crayfish eat fish. My sources are just what I've seen through various fish forums