Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 
blumunki87

Lightbulb Divided tanks

This may be a silly question, but in reading about these divided tanks, I was interested in getting one and housing 2 male bettas. My question is... are you buying these tanks divided or dividing them yourselves? and if so, how are you doing so? dreaming big over here for clancey.
blumunki87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #2 
TeenyTinyTofu

The divider I use for Judea and Jordan, I bought for like $7. Some people use plastic cross-stitch canvas from Walmart, which is like $2 for a pack of 6, I believe, and use that as a divider.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 
blumunki87

thank you for your response... will the cross stitched dividers work fine, or do i have to worry about them being ripped through quickly? What do you recommend using? I'm pretty new and I want to make sure I set things up right, because the tank clancey is in now, I'm sure he dislikes.
blumunki87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4 
Euphie101

I use the cross-stiched dividers, and they work fine. They don't get ripped through, as I'm prettty sure what TTT is talking about is plastic (at least what I have is plastic) and they hold up well. You make them your self, and they are super easy to make! I don't know where the topic is on how to make them though, but if someone finds it or you find it, they really are very easy and cost under $5
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #5 
Adastra

I did the DIY version with craft mesh. It's a plastic mesh that people use for 3 dimensional needlepoint crafting--it's not fabric. :) People use it to make boxes that are embroidered with yarn. All you need for the project is some aquarium silicone, the craft mesh, and report cover binders. You take the plastic report binding and attach one to each side of the tank with the silicone, measure to make sure they line up, of course, and let them dry overnight. Then simply cut the mesh to size and slide it into the bindings.

Very cheap, easy, and durable. You can also get any color you want, and sew different things to it to help obscure the view of the betta in the other section. Silk plant leaves are a good option to sew to the divider--I used live java moss to cover most of my dividers and it looks good and works very well.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #6 
shell85

i was just thinking about this one of my bettas is in a huge container that holds about slightly over 5 gallons and he seems overwhelmed and only sticks to one side mainly i was thinking about just dividing it for room for 1 more betta instead of looking for another smaller tank for him. Is this a good idea?
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #7 
Adastra

I usually only recommend doing this to 10G tanks, but you could do it in a 5G if you compensated for the extra bioload with extra water changes. It's definitely not my favorite scenario though. Perhaps you should consider what your betta might not like about his environment that's causing him to hide on one side--such as lack of decorations, too much filter flow, excessive lighting on one side, or too much room traffic, etc.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #8 
shell85

oh ok i just read something and made me think i'm better off just buying another tank anyway these things are prone to cracking and which i see now a crack in the bottom of it ugh
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote