Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #1 
LightningType

Post I need some help for the home of Jack..

Jack is my CT dark blue/maroon Betta.

I've had him since June 7 of '10, and I'm wondering what kind of tank I should get him, since I don't want him to be confined in something tiny like the plastic cup & lid my dad saved him from! Is it ok to put him into a non-filter large bowl or a filtered tank? I would love to keep an eye on him all the time whenever I'm home, and my dad had two male Bettas that he kept in a non-filter glass bowl, and they both lived up to 2 years. They seemed completely fine and lived for awhile and I want Jack be healthy like them.

what should I pick for Jack's home?
LightningType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

If you want a cheap, great home you will need:

a 16 quart plastic tub from walmart (you'll need the lid)
an inch of gravel
live plants (or silk)
a 25 watt heater

Fill the tub an inch from the top so he has air when you have the lid on.

Keep him clean in this set up, so a 50% water change weekly if he's unfiltered.

If you want a filter I HIGHLY reccomend this one:
http://www.petco.com/product/12147/P...t=OnSiteSearch

I use it in my betta fry tanks and it would be ideal for this set up. Replace the filter cartridge once a month. With this filter you can do a 25% water change weekly.

This isn't a super attractive set up but it works and is way healthier for your betta than a little 1/2 gallon bowl.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #3 
LightningType

I don't think I really should get him a plastic tub.
I'll buy a medium tank for Jack and I could buy a heater and maybe a filter. ^__^ If not, I'm fine with scrubbing Jack's home anyday! Does colored flat glass marbles work instead of gravel? Or a large glass bowl with a stand not work out for him?
Sorry for questioning.. but I'm just making sure.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

I wouldn't use those big glass stones...food gets trapped...betta goes for food...betta gets trapped....betta drowns :(

The plastic tub is usually what I use....mainly because they're cheaper than glass and bigger oh and don't break :)

I'd go for a tank with a lid...bettas WILL jump, get a filter, and a heater. Bettas need warmth, at around 80 degrees. There's pre-set heaters from Walmart you can use.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #5 
LightningType

Smile

Wow! really? they actually WILL jump? I thought my dad was joking too,&& everything included for a heater and filter. c:
I'll get some blue gravel for Jack.
Ty, Vampire! (:
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningType View Post
Wow! really? they actually WILL jump? I thought my dad was joking too,&& everything included for a heater and filter. c:
I'll get some blue gravel for Jack.
Ty, Vampire! (:
Yup they jump. My jars are always covered and so are my tanks.

No probelm, anymore questions feel free to ask :)
Old 09-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #7 
Waterbottle2

make sure to post pics when/if you can =) also when you scrub his tank i'm sure you already know this but dont use soap. I've heard some sad stories about that :(
Goodluck on your new adventure! it took me a while to complete my tank and i'm still learning new atuff about it everyday.
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #8 
LightningType

No soap?
How can I wash the tank? ): Ahh.. I'm such a beginner at Betta fish.
For now, I'll keep Jack in a temporary home and buy all the equipment for his new, fabulous dream home, hehe. (:
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #9 
DragonFish

You can keep your little guy in anything 2.5 gallons or larger ;)
Definitely get a heater(bettas need a steady temp of 78-81 degress F), you don't necessarily NEED a filter....but if you want to go 5 gallons or larger, I'd suggest looking into cycling, and you'll need a filter for that.

Water changes are determined by how large your tank is and if its cycled or not..
In a smaller tank(5 gallons or less)you'll want to do 2-3 100% changes per week(though you could get away with 1-2 in a 5)/ Just used hot water and rinse everything, NO soap. Its toxic.
Be sure to match the new water temp with the old water temp, add water conditioner to the fresh water, and then add your guy back in.

Good luck in finding the right home for Jack ;) There are some really neat tanks out there to choose from!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

Don't use soap....it'll kill your fish. Since you only have one betta hot water will work.

I have many more bettas so when I need to disenfect jars and tanks I use a solution of bleach (a few drops of bleach to a gallon of water). I let them soak for 15 min then dump and rinse rinse rinse!!!! Oh and I rinse some more. I rinse each jar at least 15 times. Never bleach gravel.....it'll absorb the bleach and then kill your fish.