Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Need Response ASAP

My male betta hasn't eaten in over a week and a half. He is starting to look bloated, maybe a slight look of dropsy where he looks bloated. But one of his "feel-er" fins, the tip of it looks like it's sprouting. Like when leftover food stays in the tank and little white fuzz sprouts. Same with like the tip of his tail. What is this? He is in a 20 L divided with 4 other boys. I'm going to take him out but he just really doesn't look good...
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #2 
JKfish

Take him out, it sounds either like finrot, bacteria, or fungus. Put him in a warmish 81-82* shallow hospital tank. Dose it with aquarium salt to try and kill the fuzz. I'm not sure why he's not eating, maybe parasites? Try soaking his pellets in garlic juice and see if he eats them. Apparently garlic increases appitite in bettas and helps boost their immune system.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

If it was parasites wouldn't it affect the other fish? I don't think it's fin rot, since I've never seen it with the "fuzz" before...
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #4 
JKfish

Sometimes finrot is white and fuzzy, in that case it would be fungus. Either way, the aquarium salt and warmer water should help.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #5 
zelilaa

i have NO idea what it might be... but i bet you its contagious. take him out, and quickly take out the others too if they show ANY signs of it !
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would QT and start with Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days-I would keep my temp in the low range of normal (76-78F) to discourage bacterial growth and avoid flex with any sudden high temp with an immune compromised fish. Most fish will stop eating when sick-so he most likely started to get sick when he stopped eating and he just didn't have any outward symptoms yet. I would not feed anything yet-hold food for 3-4 days and then offer half feeding during treatment

At this point I would gear my treatment toward the bloat/dropsy with Epsom salt not aquarium salt-the clean water as well as the Epsom salt should also help with the fin issues, hopefully he is not in system shut down yet....how old is he or how long have you had him.

I am assuming this is a filtered, cycled tank with at least 3-4 50% weekly water changes in a 20L tank..that is a little over 5gal right....with 5 Bettas???? and no long term use of aquarium salt...correct????
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Not filtered tank. I had used AQ for a long time as a preventative, until recently when someone said it was bad for long term use. I didn't know had to do 4 50% changes a week, that seems WAY overload for 5 fish in 20 gallons, but that's just my opinion. The others seem normal. I am doing a gravel vac and taking out almost all water. This fish had not eaten this type of food off and on, but had never completely stopped eating.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 
nochoramet

I think you put 20L in the OP instead of 20g that's why she was asking. I think 20L would be 5g.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sorry, I thought you posted that it was a "20L divided" tank not 20gal-in that case unfiltered uncycled 20 gal would need 2-50% weekly and 100% at least monthly unless it was crammed full of live plants to maintain water quality for fish health and fins.

Long term salt can cause system failure and/or kidney damage and often you will see bloating issues, immunity problems with long term use and then death, some are more sensitive/reactive than others.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #10 
puppyrjjkm

Sorry my fault, yes 20 gallon long! I moved him to my 10 gallon for now, so I guess I'll wait and see how he fares. Thanks for the help. I wonder if it was the salt, anyway the tank he is in now has no salt. I put just a little in the tank he was in (20 gallon) just in case it is contagious, but far less than I normally did. Thanks again!