Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #1 
windfire

Talking i really should stay away from pet stores

oy so went to the plant nursery with my ma and theres a dinky lil petstore a couple of stores over. i have gone in once or twice but there was never anything to go like wow about. so i see they advertising bettas so i went to have a squizz and there was a beautiful male in a 20L with a female, both of them have fin damage but other than that they doing good, i just introduced them into the tank and they exploring much better, the male is a bluey black body with red and orange fins and black trimming along his fins the female is just plain red but she's really starting to colour up nicely.i also found this really cool statuette of to old chinese men playing checkers which i thought went very well with the tank lol, i couldnt help myself. so yay me i got a new male, i'll be watching to make sure everyone plays nice, i may breed him with Ophelia at some stage, uhm the new red female will be called Athena and i'm not sure about the male. they both veiltails i think or the male might be a delta im not sure, i'll take some pics tonight
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Congrats on the newbys! xD Perhaps Ares for the male, since the little lady is Athena? ;)
If you still have them in the same tank though, separate them right away. It was very unwise of th petstore to have them together in the first place, one will eventual end up killing the other. They're not called 'Fighting Fish' for nothing ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #3 
windfire

Hmmm do females flare? Athena is flaring at her reflection. Thanks dragon, im keeping a close eye on them, it is possible 2 keep them together as a few people, experienced betta keepers all, hav succesfuly done it. I do have back up tanks if necassary though
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Yes, females do flare, they just don't have as big of a beard as males do usually.

And yes, a few VERY, VERY experienced keepers have kept SIBLING males and females they have bred together in very large well planted tanks, but that doesn't mean just anyone can do it or should ever do it.....and its not uncommon for these experienced keepers to have problems later down the road. I HIGHLY suggest separating them ASAP, because it is inevitable that either one will kill the other or they will both end up dead. So, either wait until one or both of them are near death or already dead before exasperating them, or do it now and prevent the inevitable and provide long, healthy, happy lives for them both. Your choice in the end.

I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but this really cannot be stressed enough. This species are FIGHTING fish, bred to fight and kill. Both genders just cannot live peacefully together under normal circumstances, even Sorority's are risky, have to be carefully monitored, and often run into issues.
Its really in the fishs' best interest if you separate them as soon as you can before you run into problems.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote