Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

10 gallon for one betta

Hello! Figured I'd get this out of the way now!

As soon as the week is over, my boyfriend's little brother is surrendering his poor sweet 'school project' betta(I mentioned this in another thread) and he will finally get a decent home!

We have a ten gallon, previously housed a young leopard gecko. Currently in the process of cleaning(What's the best method? We're worried, even though he had paper towel substrate, sometimes his feces hit the bottom of the tank-so we want it super clean! Any advice? When is enough? I don't want to accidentally not clean it enough, but I also don't want to spend an entire week scrubbing the heck out of an already clean tank!)

Anyway, he'll be in the 10 gallon, like I said. Just him. We have one live plant(not sure what kind, I'll need to ask Nathan) and we can possibly get more. Have a never used coffee mug, and more decorations will follow. Of course they will all be cleaned before put into the tank!

So that I can give my boyfriend a care list, what would be the best schedule for the betta's care? How often should water changes happen/what percent, etc.. It would really help him to have a list(he works best with lists..all our animals have little notes next to them..lol! Helps when we have pet sitters!)

If you haven't seen my other post, he's a little red crowntail, very young compared to the rest in the store, and is very active! I want to make sure he gets the best most awesome home ever! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Id bleach the tank, just fill it with hot water and add a little (LITTLE!!) amount of bleach and let it soak for about 15 minuets. Then dump it out and take it outside where you can spray it down with a hose (if you have one) and rinse a lot. Use your hand to wipe the sides of the tank and then dump it out. Let the tank sit in sunlight for a few days and your all set :)

JUST BE SURE TO RINSE WELL!!!!! Ok last warning is in :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

:O Sweet! Well he has a few days to make sure it is rinsed out nice and good! How often would we need to do water changes? Unfortunately this fish was sort of a surprise, so we didn't have time to cycle the tank!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #4 
swoozie13579

for a 10 gallon tank mabie change it out once or twice a week. dont change all of it out of the tank. leave 10-25% in there or itll just kill the fish.
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

10 gallon is 4 times the size a betta needs so if you do weekly water changes on a 2.5 gallon you should do 50% monthly...that's for cycled tank.

Fortunately 1 betta in a 10 gallon dosen't put to much stress on the bio load. Do weekly 10%-20% weekly for 6 weeks then go to a monthly basis.

I HIGHLY reccomend Stress Zyme by API. It gets your tank cycled pronto and works great...I always use it.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
for a 10 gallon tank mabie change it out once or twice a week. dont change all of it out of the tank. leave 10-25% in there or itll just kill the fish.
I once had a severely stunted baby betta and he lived in a 10 gallon with 100% weekly changes...he did great :)

Last edited by MrVampire181; 09-27-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Fortunately 1 betta in a 10 gallon dosen't put to much stress on the bio load. Do weekly 10%-20% weekly for 6 weeks then go to a monthly basis.

I HIGHLY reccomend Stress Zyme by API. It gets your tank cycled pronto and works great...I always use it.
:O I'll see if he can get it! There is apparently a great aquarium store he discovered(right by my house!) that he bought the betta from! They were knowledgable and everything, it was awesome. I bet they have good stuff, I'll see if he can stop by! I know he bought some kind of conditioner, I'm not sure what :O I'll ask him.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #8 
swoozie13579

plz help im new and i have a questin but idk how to post it. how do u post it??
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
plz help im new and i have a questin but idk how to post it. how do u post it??
There is a 'new thread' option when you look in one of the forum sections! Hit new thread, type in your question, and you're done!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #10 
Drift

I've never had much luck with Stress Zyme, seems more like a marketing ploy to me. I've cycled tanks with and without it, fish and fishless and it made no difference. Maybe that's just me though.
I do 25% water changes weekly, mostly to vacuum the gravel though. I have 2 bettas in a 10 gallon divided and a million and half snails. The snails are my main problem creating such a mess. I've not cleaned it for two weeks without any problem ammonia wise. This is on a cycled tank though. I wouldn't go past 2 weeks though. Would you really want to swim around in the same water for 2 weeks?
During the first month I would test the water often to keep and eye of all the levels to make sure they do not get too high. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote