Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #11 
swoozie13579

thx for helping
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I've never had much luck with Stress Zyme, seems more like a marketing ploy to me. I've cycled tanks with and without it, fish and fishless and it made no difference. Maybe that's just me though.
I do 25% water changes weekly, mostly to vacuum the gravel though. I have 2 bettas in a 10 gallon divided and a million and half snails. The snails are my main problem creating such a mess. I've not cleaned it for two weeks without any problem ammonia wise. This is on a cycled tank though. I wouldn't go past 2 weeks though. Would you really want to swim around in the same water for 2 weeks?
During the first month I would test the water often to keep and eye of all the levels to make sure they do not get too high. :)
Really? I've used since day one and if I don't use it my water gets dirty faster but using it I can do a 25% monthly on a 10 gallon. Now a days I don't use it very much unless I'm spawning a pair, all my tanks are bare plastic tubs (except for one) with no filters, no plants, no gravel. Just a heater and a bubbler with frequent 50%-90% daily. This is for baby bettas so its a lot different than adults.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #13 
Drift

I've never seemed to have any luck with it. So I'm not wasting my money on it, whether its for adults or fry. I really do feel that with all these chemicals on the market now a days, less is more. A dechlorinator is about all you really need. To each their own though. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #14 
purplemuffin

I can agree with that, and with so many chemicals it makes it all the easier to mess up!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #15 
purplemuffin

Question: Would the Marineland stealth heater still be good for a 10 gallon tank?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #16 
swoozie13579

thx for telling me bout the new thread thing. and has the fish found a new home yet????
best wishes finding it a home!!
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #17 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
thx for telling me bout the new thread thing. and has the fish found a new home yet????
best wishes finding it a home!!
Right now the betta fish is on display for a school project done by my boyfriend's younger brother.. As soon as friday hits, the betta comes home to his new tank! He technically has a home..just hasn't gotten to go to it yet :)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #18 
zelilaa

awesome. btw, would you mean explainng in detail what the project was, or linking me to the thread you talked about it on (if one) ?
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #19 
purplemuffin

Basically the project required the students to create a 'working ecosystem' in a 1 gallon container, including having a fish(or fish-like critter, like african dwarf frog)

He did not urge the students to look up animal care, he just said 'experiment! See if you can make a home for them where they can live for a week'

Thankfully it is JUST a week and not a semester like many of these projects! He also gave in to letting him feed the fish(since the betta does not eat the plant roots..)

Nathan's little brother also happened to forget all about the assignment until the day before, so it was a 'surprise' betta! He bought the fish and some plants from an aquarium store, and now they are living at the school until friday!

Update: Nathan is too nervous about the ten gallon tank, it's been used for so long, he doesn't trust himself to get it clean enough for the fish, especially his first fish! He's going to the store to hopefully buy another ten gallon, but he might end up with a 5 gallon. Either way it will be new and clean!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #20 
purplemuffin

New update: GRAPHIC, BE WARNED!

This project is just AWFUL! These stupid kids did not realize animals need AIR! Nathan's brother is the only person who still has a living animal other than one person who has a spider(but the fish died in his tank too, the spider is all that is left)! It was so sad, stupid stupid kids. Had a baby house gecko, left starving giant crickets with it..of course the crickets began to eat the poor gecko, weak from lack of air and heat. UGH!! Makes me want to cry. The geckos died, and the kids left them in the water, which killed the frogs inhabiting the water as well. The other people with bettas did not get lids, half of them jumped, some of the others were over fed(a spoon full of pellets and didn't clean it out for days).. NONE OF THESE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE PETS!

I am SO proud of Ryan! He is changing the water, feeding him right, and the little guy is very happy and curious despite being in a small cold little jar. This project is ridiculous! That teacher knew those animals would die, he should have spoken up! Animals lives should not dictate grades! If you want kids to learn about ecosystems, set up working tanks, don't just see who can make things live the longest with no information at all!

FURIOUS!

Ugh, anyway. The tank has been bought. Friday cannot get here any sooner!!! OH I'm mad!