Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #1 
sandystar

HELP!!! Dropsy? + missing fins

Hello again,

Its about Kasey. Her pectoral and ventral fins are still missing on one side, and she seemed like she was getting better. She barely eats which is what clued me into her latest maybe, hopefully not... ailment of dropsy?

I just had a girl pass from it and I'm terrified that she contracted it. She hasn't been bloated, but her scales are looking a little rough. Like not yet a pine cone but she doesn't look smooth. I haven't taken photos yet, just got home from work and class and this literally set in, in a day! She also has some fin rot? well her caudal fin is missing a horizontal chunk from the top. And another chunk from the middle of the same fin. Her color was vivid this morning, now she is stressed... because of me.

I gave her a salt bath which perked her up. Then did a massive hot water cleaning to her tank... it was very dirty... I don't know how. I mean I've been following her tank/ water cleaning for a little over a week plus meds ( melafix ) for the past 6 days. I'm afraid to feed her because I don't know if she will eat and I don't want it to stay and decompose in the water.

HELP! I don't know what else it could be, no red or yellow spots anywhere, no strings falling off or on her, she was a vivid blue/ purple this morning and now she is all stress stripped and pale. She isn't a pine cone but she isn't smooth... I'm hoping it isn't dropsy but what else could it be? How can I save her?

sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #2 
Adastra

Missing ventrals and pectorals? Usually only very terrible ammonia burns cause that.. have you been doing frequent water changes?

Filling out this questionnaire will help us pinpoint causes and possible solutions: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #3 
sandystar

She died last night. Thanks though...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #4 
Adastra

You should tell us more about her environment and your maintenance schedule--perhaps we can give you some tips on how to avoid this from happening to any of your future fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #5 
sandystar

My others are fine. everyone gets at least 2 gal water change once a week, fed 2 times a day 6 days a week... the tanks are 10 gal filtered and cycled... I'm not getting another fish for the 1.5, i'm going to stick with my nine.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #6 
KukaaKatchou

I'm sorry for your loss :(
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote