Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #11 
vilmarisv

Not only it's a too small container to heat up but introducing your fish into the hotter water after being in a cup 2-3 hours is a big shock to them.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #12 
shakiigrrl

Here are some pictures of my Little Sick Frank, his home and RIP Gordon`s Home. Now I would love got and buy a new Betta but I want to make sure all is good in my current setup first and get Frank back on track...I must say that he seems to be swimming more since I removed the heater and changed 50% of his water but that might just be wishful thinking on my part right now... :(
shakiigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #13 
shakiigrrl

sorry here are the pics
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #14 
Ajones108

Those tanks are cute, but in the long run not very ideal because of the amount of water changes and inability to heat it at a stable temperature. What I recommend is going to Wal-Mart and buying the $35 kit that is a 5 gallon tank, filter, hood, and light. You can divide it in two and house two bettas if you want, giving them 2.5 gallons each. Not to mention you can cycle it, easier care, etc...

I can't think of what's wrong with your bettas, but that's just my input.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #15 
shakiigrrl

Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately at the moment I need to find a way to keep using these 2 little tanks. 1 - yes they are really cute and awesome on our wall but the major reason is that we have 5 cats (I know - cat ladies here) and these wall mounts are the best for us. I have had an aquarium in the past and well let`s just say with or without a top and no matter how high a cat gets its paw wet. ;)
Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #16 
TeenyTinyTofu

You can pick up the 5 gallon kit at Walmart, it's a glass aquarium with a hood, which would prevent the cats from getting into it.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

Those tanks aren't too terrible for a temporary use but like TeenyTinyTofu said you can get a 5 gallon. It's $30 and comes with a filter. Just get a heater and your all set ;)

When in doubt use a big plastic tub like a 16 quart one. They're $5 and work great for a housing...not overly decorative but they do a good job :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #18 
shakiigrrl

Ok so Frank is still with us. I gave him some Melafix to help his poor fins. I hope this helps...he swims around but I get the feeling that because of his bad tail fins he tires very easily and ends my staying at the bottom on the gravel. Then goes back up takes a few hits of air pops a bubble and goes back down. Now I have been reading (as you can imagine) all kinds of posts on here and elsewhere especially regarding small tanks like the ones I have. Yes I do understand that a 2.5 or 5 or even better 10gallon tank is mentioned ideal many times in the forums but I do know that if cared for properly and kept clean a smaller home will work as well. Now I am not talking about the scary ridiculous bowls (ipond anyone...) of course that is just simply cruel. Now my little guys were all good my first week and now 1 dead and the other just holding on and all this since I did my first 100% water change. Now my question is (since I am changing his water again tomorrow) when I do this (100% again right?) I put him in a little cup and how long should I wait before putting him back in his home? I also want to know the best way to clean all the decorations...I want to make sure that these are not damaging him either. I also have 2 apple snails, so they help clean (removed them from his tank since I added melafix to his water).
I bought a PH and Ammonia test kit from walmart and my Ph is at 7.6 and my Ammonia is at 0.5.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #19 
fishman12

You shouldn't have a tankmate, especially an apple snail (because of size) in a 1 gallon aquarium. Also, are you using the right amount of conditioner? The Nutrafin says to put 1 capfull for every half of a gallon (U.S. gallon). I don't know anything about the ammonia level, sorry... I think Melafix is bad for bettas, but I'm no expert.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #20 
vaygirl

I see a couple problems.

First off, apple snails are poo factories. They don't clean a tank unless you're talking algae. They don't eat fish waste at all. And they create a LOT of their own waste. They really don't do much but make a mess. Your tanks are too small for them and a betta fish, so I wouldn't add them back in. They're only going to contribute to your ammonia levels.

Your ammonia should always be 0. So you should change their water every time you get a reading that isn't 0. That's one of the reasons a small tank is such a detriment. Fish constantly excrete ammonia. In a bigger tank it would be diluted over more water. In a one gallon you need to change the water every other day (I think, some one else can chime in) to keep it down. It's not just about space when you're considering a home for your fish. It's about the easiest way to manage them and their waste without driving yourself crazy. :)

When you're doing a water change, use your thermometer to check the tap temp and match it to the water they came from. This causes a lot less stress on them when you add them back in. Float their cups in the tank for maybe a half hour and then put them back in.

Good luck with your little guy. I hope he makes it.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote