Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #21 
shakiigrrl

Unhappy

I pretty much mentioned most of this already and you can see pictures but this makes it cleaner:

Housing
What size is your tank?3L (0.8G)
What temperature is your tank? (74degrees)
Does your tank have a filter?No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?No (had bought a non adjusting filter but have the impression it killed 1 fish and the other is weak. The red light hardly came on and my temperature never went about 76 degrees even if the box said it would be 78. It was the small Tetra heaters
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Each betta had an apple snail...since Gordon died I added his to Frank's home BUT temporary removed both snails for now(until things are back and frank is feeling better)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets Aqueon and as a treat dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day about 3-4 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2/wk. 100% on the Saturday that ended up causing the trouble I think(or it is the heater more likely)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? wednesday = 50% (exception is tomorrow with 100% change) and Saturday's at 100% change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add a conditioner with added Almond leaves in it(minimal though)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.5 (haven't changed water since Saturday though but have 2 snails going at it)
Nitrite:?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 7.6
Hardness:?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Fins are YUK. Tail Rot it seems
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? First week all good and water was at 70. Now he is blah! Stays at the bottom in the gravel or behind the plant...does swim around and go to the top and eats.Trouble turning around and since Saturday hardly flairs up in front of a mirror when he puts the effort in to flair...usually starts to flair and then turns around or backs up and goes away
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added 0.38ml of Melafix to the 3L tank (0.8gallon tank)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just bought him 2 Saturdays ago and he seemed fine
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have no clue...but just got him and this week all new Bettas at the pet store I go to...so them must have a big turnaround.
shakiigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #22 
shakiigrrl

OK thank you fishman12 and vaygirl. Ok so 2 snails OUT! One problem resolved...so I guess listening to pet store clerks is really NOT a good idea...I asked what I could add to the betta tank that won't cause any trouble and I was told this little snail...geez. So getting these guys out should help.
Now can anyone else tell me if this Melafix is BAD for the little guy? I thought this was something that helped his tail issue.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #23 
vaygirl

It's kind of a crap shoot. I've heard people swear by it and I've heard it killed their fish. I personally wouldn't use it. Why take the chance, ya know? Clean water and sometimes aquarium salt is all that's needed to resolve fin issues in most cases. Just keep the ammonia at 0 and he should be fine.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #24 
Capricorn

From what I see, you need more water changes. Twice a week for that tiny tank is not nearly enough.

As for the cat problem, I have two cats that get into absolutely everything and I haven't had a problem with either of my tanks with hoods, my critter keeper, or my custom-lidded hermit crab tank. Critter keepers snap shut, so even a deft little cat paw can't get it open.

I personally would hold the Melafix, but I haven't used it. My Halfmoon was missing half his tail when I got him and he's regrown pretty much all of it with just clean, warm water. His tails might be ragged because you have plastic plants in your tank. They can catch a betta's fins and do a lot of damage. If you can, I would get your hands on a silk one instead.. they look realistic, can be cleaned in hot water, and won't tear fins the way plastic does.

I do recommend getting a larger setup, though, it really does make it a lot easier on you.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #25 
shakiigrrl

Well :( my little Frank is gone. I came home from work and he was gone. So anyways I cleaned out both my tanks and all the stuff(gravel etc) and set it back up. I have my apple snails in one. I added conditioner and figured I want to see with nothing in how my water is. Oh btw, I was rinsing out the blue gravel I have and noticed a very very faint blue tint in the water that it leaves behind (I had it in a strainer and that in a container...easier to see the water color when I pull the strainer out...I had rinsed the gravel in HOT HOT water the first time but now I am wondering if that did not cause all this trouble and the 2 deaths.... since they we doing fine before I changed the water and gravel and added that stupid heater.
Anyways...so I finished the setup again and this was about 4 hours ago. I just checked the ph and ammonia levels in the tank that is empty and my ph is at 7.6(the max level this test does) and my ammonia is between 0.25 and 0.50 ( I can't seemed to settle on which color it looks like) now is this normal? I mean this tank has been 100% cleaner with everything going through a HOT HOT water cleaning for about 1 hour and all I added was the conditioner in the correct amount specified on the bottle!!!
Now to get back to the "stupid" heater I bought...(my own fault I should have checked better) it was one of the small Tetra no adjustable temps supposedly pre-set to 78 degrees (thermometer never went pass 76) BUT my major learning is that this heater, which the box says for 2-10 gallon tanks is a 50W NOW I am freakin' assuming that the watts it was using affected the water maybe the vibrations or something??? Well they are both back in their boxes and will be going back to walmart tomorrow. I know adjustable heaters are the way to go but with this small tank and the smallest adjustable being at 25watts...I thnk I will try out the 7,5 flat mat one. I know it only brings the temp up a few degrees and this is based on the room temp...but I will try this without any new bettas and see how it goes and if the temp fluctuates or not.
Oh on another note...was talking about having a bigger tank with my partner and she was asking how do we feed multiple types of fish...hmmm was my answer lol since we have read we could have a community tank with 1 male betta and a few other fast paced little guys... but bettas eat their own kind of food so how does that work?
Ok enough for now and it really sucks that I couldn't save Frank...wish I would have only changed 1 thing during the water change on saturday and not al the items liek that I might have pinpointed the cause....
Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #26 
Capricorn

Sorry to hear that.

I really don't think it was your heater at this point the watts has nothing to do with "vibrations", it's just the power used in it.

The ammonia level should be 0, anything else is unhealthy... I'm willing to bet that that is the main cause. Not sure what's causing it if you cleaned everything, but it should be at zero.

Hoping someone with a little more experience can pop in here to see what they think.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #27 
shakiigrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn View Post
Sorry to hear that.

I really don't think it was your heater at this point the watts has nothing to do with "vibrations", it's just the power used in it.

The ammonia level should be 0, anything else is unhealthy... I'm willing to bet that that is the main cause. Not sure what's causing it if you cleaned everything, but it should be at zero.

Hoping someone with a little more experience can pop in here to see what they think.

I am curious as well as to what my ammonia level is not at 0 when I just changed and cleaned everything and on top have nothing live in the tank...anyone have an excellent ammonia test kit to suggest? I am using API Ammonia NH3/NH4 Test Kit liquid drops...
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #28 
Ajones108

The API kit is as good as it gets IMO...

About the community tank, until you can successfully manage one betta, I do not recommend getting a community tank and plopping a male betta into it. Most male bettas do not have the temperament to be in a community tank.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #29 
vaygirl

You might have ammonia in your tap water. Some people do. Test just your tap and find out. If you do, Prime water conditioner removes ammonia from tap before you add it to your tank. Anything your fish produced ammonia-wise, you'd still have to do water changes.

Sorry your lost your other guy. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #30 
shakiigrrl

Ok so yesterday I cleaned everything in my little tank PROPERLY and i added AFI ammo lock (did not have prime where I went but they suggested AFI Ammo Lock) and I got myself a little and when I say little he is so small it is too cute red and blue crowntail now named George. He is in the tank now. But it might be me being paranoid but he seems to be spending all his time at the top taking in air...sometimes a little gulp and then makes a buble (which pops right away) but other times he just is in the middle of the tank and the top with the tip of his now up and doesn't move and then takes a gulp of air and swims around the top and just does this.... is this normal? He has only been in his tank for like 30 minutes...PLEASE tell me nothing is wrong...