Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, then twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? we did a 20% and then made the mistake of doing 100% because he looked ill
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his core is whiter than usual, his tummy is swollen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he won't flame at his reflection, very lethargic, stays in one of a few places in the aquarium for long periods of time. Previously he was insanely energetic, always watching and swimming for whoever was at the desk.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this past thursday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? we got him a heater, changed the filter, and have fed him only cooked and pealed peas for the past two days. He'll be energetic after the peas but then falls back into lethargy.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, we've had him for two weeks.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Two weeks from the pet store.

Thank you for your help. I really love this little guy and I hate seeing him suffer.
devo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #2 
swoozie13579

well, what he might have is Ich. does he rub on any hard objects like plants that you put in there? that and white spots on his fins and body are the symptoms of ich. use Ich remedy for at least two weeks. hope i helped.

Last edited by swoozie13579; 09-27-2010 at 09:26 PM.
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #3 
swoozie13579

you arnt sposed to feed them no more then once every two days. also no more then your fish can eat in three to five miniets.
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #4 
Drift

Doesn't sound like Ick to me. Also you can feed you betta two times a day just fine. 2 pellets soaked in some tank water (helps prevent cosntipation) is about average depending on the size of your betta. Fasting once a week is recommended.
Changing 100% of your water is a good thing. Any tank under 5 gallons needs a good 100% cleaning. It's very hard to cycle a tank that size. I do one 100% water cleaning weekly with a 50% in the middle of the week. Make sure that it is the same temperature when changing the water. Rapid increases is temperature care not good for them as they are cold blooded animals, and you already know to use water conditioner that gets out the chlorine/chemicals in your tap water.

As for him being sick, hopefully someone more experienced will come along and help you out. I'm not quiet sure what is going on. Thank you for filling out all the questions though!
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #5 
Adastra

I think there is a good possibility that changing the filter led to a mini-cycle--since small tanks tend to be very unstable. I highly recommend investing in a liquid master kit--without one, how did you come to determine that the tank was ever cycled? The 100% change was a good idea, it was important to remove any ammonia/nitrite caused by the mini-cycle. When you change your filter cartridge, you're essentially throwing away your bacterial colony. You definitely don't want to do that--when the filter cartridge looks dirty next time, simply rinse it gently with some old tank water during water changes. I only replace mine when it's actually disintegrating--which takes about a year to happen. The packaging does instruct you to replace it monthly--but that is only so that they can make more money. The only thing that wears out in a month's time is the carbon, which is unnecessary anyway. If you want to use carbon in your filter, you can simply cut a slit in the floss, empty out the old carbon, and replace it with higher quality carbon that will last longer. So, in the future, definitely do not throw away your filter cartridge. Until you get a test kit, I recommend doing water changes as Drift instructed, one 50% and one 100% + cleaning with hot water per week.

As for the bloating issue--we have to eliminate the possibility of dropsy first. Fish with dropsy tend to be extremely lethargic, often floating in a characteristic nose-up or nose-down position, and eventually their scales begin to stick out from their bodies like a pinecone. If it doesn't seem like dropsy--I'm suspecting shock + constipation, perhaps with a side of internal parasites. Have you seen him poop lately, and does he show much interest in food? I would fast him until you see poop or until the bloating goes down. When you see feces, note the appearance of it--abnormal feces can be a very sure sign that the fish is parasitized.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #6 
devo7x

Thank you, drift and adastra, you're very helpful.

I don't believe he has ick or dropsy. He's able to swim perfectly straight, he just doesn't have any desire to. I have not seen him poop at all ever, but I know he has in the past because I've encountered it cleaning. I don't know how to watch for it though. And he's been very eager for the peas. Yet when he's in front of the light I can see the shadow of all the gunk in his tummy. If he is constipated, how long does it take for the peas to do their magic? If it is shock, how long will it last?
devo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Most people feed their bettas 2-3 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote