Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #1 
Ajones108

Angry So annoyed!

Even after stirring up the gravel in the 5 gallon tank and poking at the plant roots before doing a PWC with the siphon, I STILL have a boatload of plant debris and fine particles floating in my otherwise immaculate water.

Is this bad for my betta, or are they OK with plant crap floating in their water?

Also, I can't properly acclimate him temperature wise to this new tank because his cup won't float. So, I'm acclimating him to the pH/general water pram change via syringe every few minutes. His new tank is the same temp as his old tank, do you think the temporary temperature change will be a little lighter on him?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 AM   #2 
Ajones108

I just tested my nitrates again. Even after doing the siphon water change, they're still sitting at 10-20ppm. Which is borderline unacceptable. I'm concerned that doing another water change this close to the other partial will throw off my cycle. >.< Any suggestions from anyone who's awake this late?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #3 
Adastra

Your bacteria live in your filter--very little of it is in the water column at any given time. Think of it like algae--it clings to hard porous surfaces. By changing the water you certainly don't get rid of much algae. :)

If you think about it, fish have to deal with sediments in their water in nature--as long as it's just plant matter he should be totally fine. It will settle soon enough.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #4 
Ajones108

Shif is going to have a stroke on me tonight. Unsure about doing the water change in the 5 gallon again, I hastily began doing a 100% water change on Shif's 2.5 gallon critter keeper. I just went to place his cup in the water and the cup flipped over, causing for a freaked out fish and a big mess of water. >.< I'm putting him back in his critter keeper for tonight unfortunately. I'm finishing up the water change on the critter keeper and then I'm going to do another partial water change on the 5 gallon, and let it run overnight before attempting once again to acclimate him tomorrow. *sighs*