Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #1 
poonah

Wink Herb has new friends :)

Just been out and bought a dozen neon tetras and a shrimp to keep herb company :)

just got them in the tank in their bags... he swam to the shrimp... then to the neons.... he started flaring at the neons and stayed by them for about 5 mins... he's literally just swam away... is he just letting them know whos boss?

also one of the tetras seems to be swimming sideways... should i net out and flush?
poonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size is your tank?

I would remove the sick fish and QT, never flush dead or live fish....bad for the environment and cruel........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 AM   #3 
Alex09

Dont flush live fish!!! :o
And keep an eye on the neons. They are known to be fin nippers (aka betta tail biters)

@ oldfishlady: Why is it bad to flush a dead fish? I mean, considering what normally goes down there...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #4 
Ajones108

Flushing domesticated fish is like releasing pet pythons in America. Even if they're dead, the environment and things in the environment aren't built to withstand certain things. It's also like when the English settlers came over to America and brought their diseases.

Dead or alive, domesticated fish can still carry things into the environment. That being said, burying them would be just as bad wouldn't it. I've heard of people cremating their fish and sprinkling them in the river though.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #5 
poonah

I put him in a jug with salts... unfortunately he passed away :( thanks for the advice though :) ill think twice before flushing a fish or better yet not flush at all :)
poonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 
Ajones108

Geeze I think of terrible analogies at 1:30 in the morning...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #7 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Flushing domesticated fish is like releasing pet pythons in America. Even if they're dead, the environment and things in the environment aren't built to withstand certain things. It's also like when the English settlers came over to America and brought their diseases.

Dead or alive, domesticated fish can still carry things into the environment. That being said, burying them would be just as bad wouldn't it. I've heard of people cremating their fish and sprinkling them in the river though.
Cremating a FISH seems a bit too much. Is there another to get rid of a dead friend because I always flush. I never really thought much of it.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I;'ve always flushed mine, too. I can't bury them because I basically have no yard and I'm not going to throw them in thr trash.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #9 
fishmadcraig

I bury when i can. Cremating is crazy, I know some of us do LOVE our fish and get attatched to them, but come on, there is a limit :D
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had to throw a hamster in the trash (dead) when I was in college. I had no place to bury him. I felt guilty about doing that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote