Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 
TeenyTinyTofu

Unhappy Poor Fish (New Rescue)

Over a WEEK ago, I was in a pet store (I worked there years ago) and was looking at their betta's. I noticed a pertty red male that was severely bloated and just laying on his side at the top of the cup with dirty water. I told them he was sick, and at least needed his water changed because it was so filthy.

Remember, this was over a WEEK ago. I couldn't get that poor fish out of my mind since last week. I went back in there today, and he was still there! Still laying in filthy water, and still just floating listlessly at the top of the cup, with a major bloat problem. I notified the manager, and he gave him to me. Said he knew he'd be in better hands with me than anyone else.

So... a free fish turned into a bit more expensive fish, as I had to pick him up a hospital tank and supplies. So I bought a 2 gallon Kritter Keeper to use while he's being treated. If he makes it, I'll upgrade him to the 5 gallon kit at Walmart. I also bought some Spongebob themed ornaments and gravel, and a sponge filter with a carbon pouch in it as well, along with a container of aquarium salt too.

He's all set up now, and he can submerge himself, and can swim okay. he swims a bit eratically at times, but seems to have no problem submerging, or coming up for air. But he does keep going over onto his side at times, but immediately rights himself. His extremely swollen stomach isn't helping him, I'm sure.

I added some aquarium salt to his water, according to the box directions, along with some extra stress coat too. If anything, even if he doesn't make it, I know he'll be happier in his new tank than in that pitiful cup he's been in.

The only thing left to buy is a small Hydor mini heater, which they were out of. They'll be in on Friday they said. Thankfully my house stays very warm, and I have him near a window (but not in direct sunlight), so his water is staying nice and warm, right around 78F.

Here's some pics...

Still in his cup:

His new tank that I set up just for him...

Happily cruising his new tank...

I think he likes his new tank, LOL

TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #2 
dub shih

You are the fish savior. :)
dub shih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #3 
FishyCass

He looks good swimming around. He must love all the room to dart about now. Best of luck, hopefully he makes it! :)
FishyCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

Yeah he's loving his new tank it seems. He already appears to be feeling better, swimming happily and exploring everything in the tank. I'm so happy for him!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #5 
DragonFish

How wonderful that you were able to take him out of those horrible conditions!! Hes such a beautiful boy, I have a soft spot for the super reds ;) I bet he'll make a full recovery and no time! :)
Virtual cookies to you for being awesome by the way xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #6 
Alexanderismylife

Congrats on saving him! He is allready starting to look better I think! :) Good luck! He is a beautiful lil betta. I hope he starts getting better soon!
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #7 
Ajones108

He looked so sad floating on his side...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

Yeah, he did look pretty pitiful in the cup. He's doing much better tonight, and swimming around his tank. His bloated belly appears like it has even gone down some, I'm thinking the salt has helped a good bit.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #9 
celine18

he's a very pretty boy, and i'm glad to hear he's doing better. i love the spongebob decorations, btw :D
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I bet he's enjoying his nice big tank. He may have swimbladder problems for the rest of his life. I had one that I rescued from a cousin that had swimbladder problems off and on until the day he died. He was ok other than floating on his side.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote