Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #11 
Adastra

Just like in cat food and dog food brands--quality can vary a -lot- and the cheaper ones will use a lot of fillers like wheat and ash--I see that you have a dog, so I'll use a dog analogy, because it's kind of like how really bad dog food will have crushed corn as the first ingredient and also include things like "mill run." Check the ingredients and apply the same principles you would when picking a dog food--you want a whole meat to be the first ingredient, such as whole salmon, halibut, shrimp, krill, squid, etc--if it's followed by a meat "meal" even better. The further down the list you find grains like wheat or soy the better.

Brands like Hikari are now like the Pedigree or Beneful of betta foods, lol. In other words, total crap. Apply the same ideas as you would to buying food for your other pets and you should have no problems. For instance, here are the ingredients in OmegaOne Pellets:

Whole Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Astaxanthin, Lecithin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

This is what I consider to be a decent ingredients list--a variety of whole meats are offered, along with color enhancers like Astaxanthin (enhances red and orange coloration), and a list of vitamins and minerals.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #12 
HilaryJo

oh boy... i am probably annoying... sorry :(

any suggestions on a heater? i have a preset one right now :(

JEEZ they shouldn't even make these cheap products!!
HilaryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #13 
HilaryJo

you are a big help!!! i thank you!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #14 
Adastra

I would return the preset if possible and get a 25watt one with an adjustable thermostat--often the stores don't stock adjustables that are this small. I think it's because they make a higher profit margin on cheaply made ones and probably sell more of them because of the lower price in comparison to the other heaters. Pet stores are a business after all--they're not after your pet's well being, they're out to make a buck.

I use this heater: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368

If they don't have the right size heater in stock, you can usually ask them to special order you one. You will save money in the long run if you start ordering online. Pet retail stores have to pay utilities, mortgage, employees, stock lots of items, etc.. they have to cover these costs by jacking up the prices. Online stores avoid a lot of this overhead cost and pass the savings onto you. You tend to save $10 or more per item, which more than makes up for shipping when they offer it on a flat rate.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 AM   #15 
HilaryJo

ok. i cant thank u enough for all the advice! i just hope i can keep Willie happy and healthy!!