Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #1 
wystearya

Getting worse, help needed!

Ok, I posted earlier today about my new Betta not eating. Well, today when I got home from work just now, I see he looks really bad...

His color has faded in his fins, and his fins look "ragged" for lack of a better word. He also will hang vertically in the water, head up tail down. Then he has a spurt of energy and looks like he is fighting with nothing for a moment... I don't know he just looks bad.

I am changing ALL the water right now and rinsing everything in super hot water. I don't know what else to do right now. Maybe he was ill when I bought him, I've never had such poor luck with a Betta, even though I always just get them at chain pet stores. *sigh*

Any tips would help me a lot.

I have a 2 and a half gallon tank, I do have a heater, I do have the "Betta water conditioner" from Top Fin. He has not eaten since I got him Sunday evening. I'm so worried now!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 
wystearya

Well, the water change is done. Not much improvement yet, though I didn't really expect any right away.

I have noticed the very tips of his fin rays look whitish-clearish and I don't think they did before.. Is this an illness?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #3 
Adastra

An extreme nose-up position can be a symptom of dropsy. Are his scales completely smooth without definition, or do they stick out slightly like a pinecone? I don't think there's anything definitive that you can do about it right now other than provide him with a clean environment, lower the water level to make breathing at the surface easier, darken his environment and give him plenty of peace and quiet. At this point there's not enough information to form an exact diagnosis or course of treatment.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #4 
wystearya

I've looked very, very closely and he might have a tiny bit of definitition to the scales, though I don't think it looks abnormal. It's been a long time since I have had a Betta though.

He just kind of hangs in the water or lays at the bottom, with the occasional burst of sudden energy.

I'll look up dropsy.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #5 
wystearya

I looked up Dropsy (and other common Betta illnesses) and really he doesn't quit fit anything in particular. :/

I guess I'll just have to watch him closely and keep researching. I think I will see if I can get some fungal treatment or other similar treatment to have on hand.

I hate my new little one is ill and moreso that I don't even know what to do to help. :/
Old 09-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #6 
wystearya

Oh...

I just looked at him again and... I think he is dying. :(

He is on his side at the bottom of the tank, hardly breathing... I guess he was ill when I bough him, though he looked to be the most active.

I'm really upset. I've never had a fish die on me so quickly after buying. I guess I've had good luck, until now...

It might be a bit premature, but I think it is imminent... Rest In Peace Sapphire. I'm so sorry I could not save you. :(

-----------

Yes, he is gone now. I couldn't save him. I had a hard day at work too... I might just cry. :(

Last edited by wystearya; 09-28-2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Update.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #7 
Adastra

Sometimes in this hobby no matter how experienced you are, some things just aren't meant to be--due to genetics, bad treatment at the pet store, or other circumstances beyond your control. If possible, I think you should try to get a refund for your fish, since the pet store should at least be monetarily be held responsible for selling you a sick fish. A bit of good old fashioned complaining to the manager certainly couldn't hurt.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #8 
Drift

I would raise heck to the store manager. I like to do that about any animal though. >:)

I bought a fish home with me once, I paid for him and everything clearly knowing he was beyond saving. I brought him home, put him in my critter keeper half way filled with nice clean wate. He passed away overnight, but I had the satisfaction that he at least was able to die peacefully in a clean home and was well loved for a day. :) I hope that it'll give you some closure that you gave him your best shot and he got to live his last days in a wonderful home.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #9 
kaythenewbie

I'm sorry for your fish. It's so hard to watch them pass on, no matter how long you had them. RIP Sapphire. I'm glad he had a good home and owner to spend his last moments with.

Talk to the fish store. With mine, they have a 14-30 (depending on the store) fish life guarantee, but you have to take in your receipt and (EWW!) the body (I'm sorry). But most stores are good about honoring their return policy and either refunding or replacing the fish.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #10 
wystearya

Yes, I knew the store had a 14 day return on fish. Though, I did have to bring in the body. :/ I'd have rather buried Sapphire myself, but I did want to try again since they had a couple more Crowntails left. So, I have another fish, and I am calling him Topaz. He is a more aqua-blue color.

Note - I cleaned the tank completely with crazy hot water to hopefully kill anything harmful. I removed the seashells as well. Set up with new clean water and the Betta water conditioner. I rinsed off the heater and put that back in as well.

But...
I have a Bacterial Bloom this morning, and I guess that is from the new water..? I've read that new set-ups can cause a bloom as well as too much fish waste. But, there is no waste in the tank.

I did a partial (30%) water change before leaving the house. Topaz didn't eat, but I am trying not to worry about that yet. Though, if he dies I will just get my money back and not buy any fish from this store again (Petsmart). So far he *seems* ok and not visibly sick. But, I am a bit worried since his predecessor died so quickly with no visible signs of illness. :/

In the meantime, is there anything else I should be doing? I have never had so much trouble with a tank or keeping fish alive. It's worth noting I've also never had a heater either... Not that I really think that is the cause, but it just makes me think.