Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Helpppppp!

So, this weekend I'm going to my aunt's house to set up her tank. My dad has already cleaned it, rinsed the gravel, and put water into it, and started the filter. I think its either a 26 gallon or 33 gallon flatback hex, probably SeaClear. Unfortunately no dechlorinator yet, I'm going to PetSmart with him when I get there to buy a bucket, siphon, the water treatment, live plants, decor, and probably fish.

Probably.

Here's my problem. The tank isn't cycled. And in order to cycle it fishless I'd have to rely on my aunt to cater to the tank. So, I was thinking about just adding 6 zebra danios to the tank and teaching my aunt how to do the water changes every couple days, and tell her to take water samples to PetSmart to have it tested once a week. I don't like fish-in cycling without seeding, its dangerous for the fish. :/

Well, I would have had to deal with it. I began researching zebra danios. They lay eggs and then they hatch and you got tons of babies. No good. I can't have fish breeding, my aunt would go insane. So, I was thinking mollies. Livebearers, evne worst. Platys? Ugh! The same! So I was thinking only betta females. That would be one farking huge sorority. My heart swells at the idea.

But the tank isn't cycled. Bettas don't do well in uncycled tanks. >< Do they? Could they handle a cycle if partial water changes are carried out every other day whilst cycling? I'm at a loss as to what to do. I was thinking about taking my bottle of Dr. Tim's and adding it to her tank along with betta females, reducing the fear of deadly ammonia and nitrites, or even adding colonize. I have no filter media that could go in her tank it seed it. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Any suggestions anyone? Ways to keep fish from not breeding? Cycling fish-in with betta females?

Edit: Here is the tank.

Last edited by Ajones108; 09-28-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 AM   #2 
carpenter547
Banned

the price you pay

remember these are fish bred to be killers you want agressive fish this is the price you pay only one male can live in all 30 gallons or a sorority of less attractive females but hey the males look pretty when they flare in that 30 right?
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #3 
dipsydoodlenoodle

IF danios breed chances are they'll eat all the eggs as they just fall to the floor and the danios will pick at the gravel for them.

Male guppies might be an idea?
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #4 
Chicklet

Male Guppies would be the way to go, But their not going to handle a cycle very well,
Sororities I would say not, Especially to someone unfamiliar with them,

As for danio's unless you got alot of plants densely planted you'll not get any young.
Even with densely planting you'd be lucky to get a couple survive.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #5 
kaythenewbie

Have you considered getting a bacteria seeder (I think that's what they are called)? Someone on this forum recommended Tetra Safe Start for my aquarium. It cost more than other brands, but well worth it. I had safe ammonia and nitrite levels in a week. Keep in mind that I was doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia and plants, but it would probably work with a fish in cycle too and help to keep your ammonia in check to cycle safer and faster.

As for the danios, even if they bred, I'm doubtful you will see any surviving young. The eggs would get eaten before you even got fry.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #6 
Ajones108

carpenter547 - Learn to read dude, I said betta females, not betta males. I'm very well experienced enough not to put a male betta with other males, or even in a community setting. And females are just as beautiful a males.

Chicklet - I plan on planting the tank up pretty well but not immediately. I love mollies and platys but they breed more than danios do. >.< So cycling with danios would be okay? I was going to add about 6 danios but down the road would they be compatible with a sorority? It's a pretty big tank, but at most I would only add about 6 females and leave room for cory cats or something of the sort.

So danios would be OK to use in the tank and I wouldn't end up with tons of babies?

EDIT: I was thinking about adding my bottle of Dr. Tim's to her tank because it IS a bacteria colony in a bottle.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 
Adastra

Personally, I'd do the fishless method with a piece of shrimp. I cycled a tank while I was on vacation by simply using a piece of cocktail shrimp in a tea bag for ammonia and seeding the tank with bacteria from another fish tank of mine. It's a completely hands off process that will take care of itself if you seed the tank properly. It would be much easier on your aunt to do it this way and it would be much safer for the fish. When I came from from my week long vacation my nitrites were low and nitrates were high--it was only a couple more days until the process was totally done and I didn't have to do -anything- but drop in the shrimp and seed the tank. This would be the most practical option. You'll probably want to use more raw shrimp for a tank that size--I used half of a large gulf shrimp for a 10G, so I suppose you'll have to use two large shrimp or three-four cocktail sized shrimp for a tank that size.

After that, danios would be a good start. If you don't want to deal with babies, I recommend some dwarf cichlids to take care of the problem. German Blue Rams are absolutely beautiful, your aunt won't have the responsibility of constantly doing head-counts on your females and isolating them when necessary. Sororities are very involved and it's difficult to put that burden onto someone else. Rams are very voracious predators that will eat fry. They have wonderful personalities--anyone that appreciates a betta will appreciate a GBR.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #8 
Ajones108

Can dwarf cichlids be placed with danios, mollies, and platys? I wonder if they would get too fat/bloated from eating fry. lol

I would think that a sorority would be simple once you get it established, but then again, you always have to take a head count on those females to make sure none are bloodied up, bruised, picked on, etc.

Hmm. Shrimp. How long was your vacation? I'll probably get shrimp, something like Colonize by Seachem, and put it in panty hose. lol
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #9 
Adastra

It was over a week--I seeded the filter heavily with media from a mature tank and added Seachem Stability before I left. It was almost done when I came back--easy peasy.

Danios don't spawn as readily as live bearers do--I would opt for those. If you get Danio rerio, (zebra danios) you have a lot of color options to choose from. A friend of mine mixed golden longfin zebras with regular zebras, longfin zebras, and leopard danios. They are all the same species, Danio rerio, so they will all school together and socialize with one another while still giving you the visual effect of a variety of colors and patterns. They get along just fine with the rams, which are stunningly colored show-stoppers anyway. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #10 
Ajones108

Oh wow. I think I might have to do that then. Mixed danios and the german blue rams. Excellent! <3