Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #11 
carpenter547
Banned

getting tired of being told to read

[quote=Ajones108;481854]carpenter547 - Learn to read dude, I said betta females, not betta males. I'm very well experienced enough not to put a male betta with other males, or even in a community setting. And females are just as beautiful a males.

i never said you were putting males with males. mearly remarking about your post that you liked the agressivness of the bettas. even the females are too much for a novice fish keeper. which you indicated your relation was. so my comment was simple you want to keep bettas agressive so now you are limited to compatable peaceful tank mates for a novice. simply put every one wants tank mates since one betta only *male* per tank is empty and less appealing.

and i am really getting tired of people usning the phrase "learn to read" or "read the post" instead of saying "i don't know what you mean".

ps just so as you know i prefer females to the males but then i like more than one betta in a tank and i like short fins. so sororities are good to me.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #12 
kaythenewbie

Perhaps if you hate people using the term "learn to read" you shouldn't use it with others. Use the Golden Rule
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #13 
vaygirl

@ carpenter - He isn't even talking about the aggressiveness being a problem. He's talking about the problem of finding tank mates that won't breed and overrun his aunt's tank. The two are unrelated.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #14 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
@ carpenter - He isn't even talking about the aggressiveness being a problem. He's talking about the problem of finding tank mates that won't breed and overrun his aunt's tank. The two are unrelated.
She* <3
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #15 
carpenter547
Banned

lol there is a difference between RTFM and i don't see how your post ties in to the ops so you need to learn to read.

i am done with this thread *as i don't wanna hijack another thread. if i mis interpreted about the concern for agression i am wrong.

btw chichlids are agressive and a bad combination in most tanks and would not get along with bettas or live bearers. the live bearers *especially the antiagressive type playties* might or could become so stressed that they mis carry or stop breeding.

*i have been called arrogant for not using words that are more politically correct and i won't start now the truth is the truth*

if you want live bearers and don't want a tank over run with them then only buy the females. if you want them to reproduce or repopulate thier numbers either borrow or buy and return or buy and destroy a male for just that purpose. don't buy a predatory agressive fish to put in a tank to prey on unwanted ofspring and to attack the parents. unless your main point of the tank is said agressive predatory fish and the others are just in for fodder.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #16 
Ajones108

Destroy a male? Now I know that they are "only just fish" but I find culling very inhumane.

I mentioned to my dad stocking mollies or platys of only one breed but then he said they could change genders? I don't believe him so I'm researching more.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #17 
Adastra

At this point I would stop feeding the troll. :>

Rams are pretty peaceful, though, compared to other cichlids until/unless they pair up and then they're quite territorial, but danios are big enough and strong enough swimmers that there shouldn't be any trouble even if you do have a territorial pair. They will definitely go through a shrimp colony and probably eat fry if presented with the opportunity.

They're definitely not hermaphroditic.. you can sex them if you learn about what to look for.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-30-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #18 
carpenter547
Banned

lol ok allow me one more post now that i have entered trolldom.

first off the agression statement was directed to the i like agressive bettas on another post logic is "if bettas could be kept with bettas then no need to find new tankmates and deal with whill they work cuz you have a tank full of what you wanna see *no more on it since it is froma different thread*

secondly i love my fish and by destroy i mean use feeder fish as feeders remember most of our beloved fish are fish food themselfs. also i do not recomend or think it is proper to buy a male and then kill it just to do so. i do advocate buying females only for population control and borrowing a male to impregnante. how ever the idea of buying a fish and feeding it to another fish is cruel but buying a highly agressive fish to eat the baby fish produced cuz you can't be bothered to make sure you only buy females is less cruel?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #19 
kaythenewbie

Wow! This thread has taken a turn. . .

Carpenter, I owe you an apology. When I told you to not tell people to learn to read, I assumed you had used it in your post. Now I see that you were quoting Ajones. I'm sorry. I hate it when quotes don't show up in a blue square; it makes me all confused.

Adastra- A "troll"? Ouch! Is name-calling really necessary?

Could we all please get back on topic?
So Ajones, I am confused. Are you going to be caring for the fish or is your aunt? I'm assuming that your aunt has very little or no fishkeeping experience. I thought that Blue Rams were pretty difficult fish to care for. They need very specific water conditions. Maybe German Blues are different (I have no idea, I don't know much about cichlids), but you should seriously consider the water conditions needed for the fish.
Danios are great. Really easy to care for and very active in an aquarium. Are you still thinking about making it a sorority of female bettas? If so, some research will need to be done since females can be aggressive toward each other or tankmates. As for the livebearers, I highly doubt they can change genders. More likely they were sexed incorrectly to begin with. I don't know how you tell the difference between male and female livebearers. Guppies are easily sexed, but I'm not sure about mollies or platies. (Sorry that I'm kinda clueless at this, I'm new to fishkeeping.)

Going back to the original question, danios would work great for a fish in cycle. But I think most of us on the forum would recommend using a fishless cycle. The shrimp method Adastra suggested sounds perfect for your situation.

Anyway, I think the most important thing for you to tell us now is who is going to be caring for the fish, have you picked fish yet, and what is your aunt looking for in an aquarium?
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #20 
Chicklet

Quote:
I mentioned to my dad stocking mollies or platys of only one breed but then he said they could change genders? I don't believe him so I'm researching more.
Yes they do, Mollies & sword tails I know so as a fact.

First time, Had all girls but two. lost both males.
I got oodles of young from those girls, Then they just stopped having any more young,
Finally I got down closer to take alook,
I was really surprised to find a bunch of males!
Several even looked neither male nor female, Stuck in the transformation phase.
Anyways I did go on to test this many times, And yes they certainly do change sexes,
I have experienced it with Swordtails and Mollies only, the platies and Guppies I experimented with never changed sexes.
It took anywhere from 1 - 3 months (more so in the 1 month range) with no male present for the sexual transformation to take place.

Last edited by Chicklet; 10-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote