Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #1 
Euphie101

Quickest Way To Cycle

I'm going to do a fishless cycle for my 20G sorority-to-be tank (for those of you who know I have my first female that will be in the sorority, I have another tank for her, since I don't want something to go wrong in a fish-in cycle and for her to pass) and I want to get the cycle done as quickly as possible. I have seen things about putting a cocktail shrimp in a tea bag or panty hose and leaving it in the tank, and I heard it is quicker than other methods. I've also heard about "seeding" a tank. I was wondering what that is too. If someone could answer these questions hat would be great! :) Thanks
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #2 
Welsh

I have never tried the rotting shrimp method but I have heard a few people recommend it. To seed a tank it basically means using gravel, deco and filter media from an already estabilished tank which will then help the new bacteria develop quicker. I have done this and it took me a week but my tank was 6.5 and I used a lot of sand from my 12G
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #3 
Adastra

If you use a filter insert from a mature tank, the cycling process will only take about a week. I have used both the pure ammonia and decaying shrimp techniques--they're about the same as far as effectiveness and both have pros and cons. The good part about pure ammonia is that it starts working immediately, you can work out an exact measurement to add depending on your results so it's harder to overdose. The bad part is that it's more involved than the shrimp technique--you have to keep adding the ammonia as it is consumed. I have used the shrimp method to cycle a tank while I was on vacation, and it worked really well because it's more hands-off than the pure ammonia technique, I didn't actually have to be there in order for my bacteria to have a ready supply of ammonia. The drawback of the shrimp technique is that it can be messy--after all, there's a big chunk of nasty rotting sea food in there, lol. It also doesn't go to work immediately--the shrimp has to begin to decay before it releases ammonia.

You should test frequently no matter which method you choose. The reproduction of the bacteria depends on aeration and temperature as well as the availability of food--so add extra aeration and jack the temp up to around 82.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Do you know if the shrimp method makes the tank reek? Mine's in my room and I'd hate to smell it and to bother my roommate with it. =[ It'd be a LOT easier for me than the ammonia though! XD
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #5 
Adastra

Nope, it doesn't really stink. You'd have more trouble with the ammonia if you don't like foul odors--whew, opening that ammonia bottle for the first time always makes me turn my head away.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

AWESOME! =D I think I'll use the shrimp method on a weekend when my roommate's outta town and then after a few days I'll add my TSS to the tank to get things going. =] (as the shrimp doesn't start releasing ammonia until a few days later right?)

So 1/2 a cocktail shrimp should be good for my 5 gallon? =3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote