Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 
Colibri

Am I being hypochondriac?

Hi everyone!

I have a litle concern regarding my betta Betta (that's his name... hahaha). Since I bought him (over 3 weeks ago) I've noticed two things on his little body that made me wonder if he's fine or what. First, one of his gill covers seems to be a little bit opened, like if it isn't completely closed to the head. He breathes normal, is very active as usual, eats gladly the food I give. I don't know if that is just a genetic thing, or the way his gill cover is. Second, I also noticed that his pelvic fins and also the dorsal one have at the very end like a little curl. He doesn't have fin rot or something like that, he looks and acts very healthy. But, I can't help wondering if that is normal. Maybe it's because he's a veil tail or his color (somewhat like a salmon with tiny wine color dots, he's very transparent) that I think it could be odd? I don't know the age he has... so, I was wandering if it could be somewhat related to old age. Hope you can give me some information.

Thanks in advance!

Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

Aww, he's so cute!! :D

It could just be old age....I am not sure about the gills though. Ventril fins curling slightly can be signs of stress. Did you cycle the tank? If not, you can use Prime daily along with partial water changes with adding the Prime, it keeps your fish safer during cycling. Or put him in a temporary home while you cycle that tank. It helps much more to have it cycled, but if you don't make sure to change the water enough (100 percent changes) and you could use prime anyway to keep anything from spiking, it also helps slime coat and condtions the water (you do condition the water?) If you go without filter/cycling the tank, I think it's better to use live plants, it aids in keeping the water more even.
If he has a filter with a strong current, that could be stressful. You can fix that by putting a sponge around the outflow (use rubberband). Does he have a heater?

You tank looks nice too! :)

Last edited by BlueHaven; 09-29-2010 at 12:41 PM.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #3 
Adastra

Bettas have been so irresponsibly overbred and kept in such poor conditions in pet stores that you can expect to see some abnormalitites in the average pet store fish. As long as the gill cover isn't bothering him in any way and doesn't seem infected (infection would affect his behavior as well as appearance, typically) he should be just fine.

His coloration is called dalmatian, you should expect to see more spots and larger spots as he gets older. As for the curling, understand that betta fins are very delicate--these fish are adapted to live in very soft water environments, so hard water and poor water quality can cause them to curl. There is no way to undo the curling unfortunately, it is permanent. The best thing you can do is simply to keep the water as clean as possible
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #4 
Colibri

Thanks! I just did a complete water change on Sunday. Yes, he has a filter and a heater. I don't think the filter current is very strong, but, I might use your advice with the sponge!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #5 
Colibri

Thank you so much for the info! I'm happy to know the type of color he has. I'm sad though that the curling can't be undone. He has the most beautiful tail I've seen... it's so wide and looks so elegant (like the one the fish on the first Fantasia (Disney) movie has). It's horrible how the pet stores keep them in the poorest water conditions ever.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #6 
Capricorn

He's very beautiful. (:

Ada is right, the breeding of fish you find in pet stores isn't that great, so you'll find little abnormalities like that all the time. As long as he is active, eating, and behaving normally he's just fine.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #7 
Colibri

Thank you! Yeah, I've been watching him really closely for the last hours, and the gill on that side doesn't seem to be swollen or something weird. So I guess it is some kind of abnormality. Could these pass on to his kids if I breed him?