Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #1 
Rawriie

Question Sand Vs Gravel

Wow, Ive been wondering recently...which one is better for a betta fish? Sand or Gravel? I heard you needed uhh some gravel siphon or whatever, if u had gravel Dx But I mean, for a Betta fish, which one would be better? Can someone help me Dx
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #2 
dyhoward

My opinion is far from professional, but I've always used gravel in my tanks. This is my first betta though, so I don't know if they are different at all. Personally, I find that sand can be a pain, since it can get pulled up when syphilizing out water while cleaning the tank. Scraping wet sand out of a bucket and placing it back in an aquarium just doesn't sound fun to me. Its just much more messy than gravel.
dyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #3 
TigerLily

I've used both sand and gravel, and I'm not sure that either makes a huge difference to the betta. For what it's worth, I personally prefer sand. It looks better (in my opinion) and it's not difficult to keep clean. If you use a siphon, just be sure you hold the siphon above the sand and it'll pick everything up, there's no need to dig around like you might with gravel.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #4 
Alex09

Gravel. Less messy, besides I would want to risk getting that in my filter...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 
dragonfair

I've tried the sand. It was beautiful but, for me, very messy. I couldn't deal with as well as the gravel, so I gave it up.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 
Rawriie

Does it get all muddy? And does the water get dirty, like all gross D && Is it easier to get the live-plants to root at the bottom of the tank? `Cause I have had a really bad experience with a Live-Plant the other time D: It wouldnt stay at the bottom, rooted in the gravel like normal live plants would, instead it would jus float up at the top of the water Dx I fail bigtime ;.;
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravel, habitat, sand