Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #1 
Lincoln

Unhappy Betta hates tank, loves bowl????

Our betta Tiepolo recently had tail biting problems (see my other posts). He started biting his tail after we put him in his new 5 gallon tank.
Water ph, ammonia, nitrate/nitrate all fine and he has heater and filter and lots of decoration/silk plants.

We then took him out of the 5g tank and put him in a hospital bowl to do 100% water changes daily, because the tail biting also caused fin rot.
His tail finally started to grow back after 2 weeks.
So we put our little guy back in his 5 gallon tank and
he started to bite his tail again!! (He didn't do that in the bowl)

What can we do about it??????
Does he hate the 5gallon tank?????????????
He's back in the bowl now, because I don't want him to get fin rot again.....
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #2 
sandystar

Can he see any other fish from his tank? My male Kristoph hates other fish and will bit himself if he can see them.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 AM   #3 
Adastra

Some fish are just very high-strung. Your fish sounds like a stress-biter, so whenever he's in a stressful situation, such as the adjustment to the new environment, he will bite. Personally, I would do a fishless cycle on the 5G and simply deal with the fact that he's going to bite his tail once you decide to put him in. He will get over it and adjust to the new tank in a few days, and since by that point his tank will already be cycled, you shouldn't have any issues with a secondary infection. The adjustment period won't be easy, but he'll be a much happier fish once he's gotten over the initial fear of being in a new container. There are some things you can do to minimize stress--such as using familiar decorations in the new tank, and keeping the tank dark and quiet for a few days while he gets used to it.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #4 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandystar View Post
Can he see any other fish from his tank? My male Kristoph hates other fish and will bit himself if he can see them.
Tiepolo is our only fish, so he can't see other male fish
We also made sure that he doesn't see his mirror image 24/7 at a darker tank spot.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #5 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Some fish are just very high-strung. Your fish sounds like a stress-biter, so whenever he's in a stressful situation, such as the adjustment to the new environment, he will bite. Personally, I would do a fishless cycle on the 5G and simply deal with the fact that he's going to bite his tail once you decide to put him in. He will get over it and adjust to the new tank in a few days, and since by that point his tank will already be cycled, you shouldn't have any issues with a secondary infection. The adjustment period won't be easy, but he'll be a much happier fish once he's gotten over the initial fear of being in a new container. There are some things you can do to minimize stress--such as using familiar decorations in the new tank, and keeping the tank dark and quiet for a few days while he gets used to it.

I just hope he adjusts to the tank soon.
The tank is cycled but I think I will only put him in there for a few hours over the next days. His tail already starts to have fin rot again, so that will need to be taken care of too. We give him Maracyn I in the bowl, it seems to healthe tail.
Why can't he just enjoy the big tank?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd try Adastra's advice and see if he stops after a week or two in the new tank. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #7 
Adastra

Moving him back and forth will likely prompt more incidences of biting. If your water quality is properly maintained there is no reason he should have any fin rot. Are you sure you know how to identify fin rot? It is characterized by a black or gray outline to the fin--often crusty in texture. If the edge of the fin is the same color and texture of the rest of the fin, it's not infected. If the edge of the fin is clear or white, the fish has healthy fin regrowth that will color up later.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Moving him back and forth will likely prompt more incidences of biting. If your water quality is properly maintained there is no reason he should have any fin rot. Are you sure you know how to identify fin rot? It is characterized by a black or gray outline to the fin--often crusty in texture. If the edge of the fin is the same color and texture of the rest of the fin, it's not infected. If the edge of the fin is clear or white, the fish has healthy fin regrowth that will color up later.
I'm pretty sure it's fin rot because there a white fluffy things around the edges where he was biting it. Like cotton things. It's most likely a fungus rot
The Maracyn I helps after 5 days
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #9 
Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
I'd try Adastra's advice and see if he stops after a week or two in the new tank. =]
We'll try our best!