Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

Almost got a veiltail today..

Well most of you know I got Carlisle from my uncles wedding.Well My cousin got one too except this one still lives in a vase with nothing accept marbles.Well she got a cat and it's a little crazy so she gave th efish to my grandma a couple months ago I feel so bad he has nothing and my grandma lets his water get super bad she has a blue one too but he is not as worse off as this guy.Anyways tday we went over there(cause almost all of our mail gets sent there) and he was super pail compared to usual his water was finally clean but his fins were clamped he does not have any rot or anything he just looked like he was giving up.I would have taken him but we had to go to a couple stores afterwords and he could not sit in the car,and right now I have 5 males and the two new sorrority girls to care for until the girls go in the big tank.He would be in a 2.5 gallon(that tank Anardil used to live in) with no filter or heater the only extra filter I have is for a 5-15 gallon(way to big for a 5 gallon really) but he does not have a filter or heater now and he lives in like a half gallon vase.I just don't really have time but I would feel awful if he died.I was thinking I could keep him for a little while and bring him back to my grandma in the bigger tank and hope she keeps it clean.Oh she also never decloranates(sp? lol) water but she is in the country so she has well water.Should I get him? Or is he better off as is?

EDIT: I also worry about the heater thing I still need to buy two for diego and the new guy who I have still yet to name and this would be a thrid heater I would have to buy.With winter coming the house is already getting pretty cold at night I am struggling to keep th enon heated tanks warm.

Last edited by naturegirl243; 09-29-2010 at 08:28 PM.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

I would get him, at least you would give him clean water and food. :c

I have a similar problem - no space, fish in need, and I feel horrible for letting him sit where he is. ;-;
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #3 
CodeRed

I'd say just try to clean his water/feed him/ect. while you're there. There's not much else you can do other than take him yourself. Maybe when she sees him getting healthier, she'll be more inclined to take care of him herself.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

Thanks She feeds them I don't know how often though cause she still has alot of food left and it's from a little over a year ago.My grandma is just one of those people that thinks when his time comes his time comes then when I said he needed something bigger she said "He's just a fish he doesn't care all they do is swim in circles" "just leave him alone by trying to fix him you are just going to kill him" If I take him I probably won't bring him back unless I can get a filter for him.If I ever get overwhelmed I could always bring him back though.He is a really cute fish it just broke my heart to see him sooooo pale he almost looked like a light orange and he used to be a beautiful red.

Oh and she also said "You know thats better then what they are used to they are used to living in those tiny cups." I just cringed I hate when people think that et alone say that.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 
FuulieQ

Argh!

I hate it when people mistreat fish because they're "just fish" and they "don't care"... if they saw a happy betta, they would know for sure that they DO care.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #6 
Alex09

Lets be realistic:

Things are born, the live, they die.
Circle of life...

You sound busy enough with all your fish already. No need to overload and stress yourself to help one more. As much as we'd like to we cant save every betta. There are millions more bettas that are in need of proper care. Your grandma's fish is just one of them.

My opinion: leave the fish where it is and take care of your own. Be content in knowing that YOUR fish were lucky enough to get a good home.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

I know I am pretty sure I am taking him soon I will probably have to bring him back I don't have enough time for that many fish but atleast I can help him for while.

EDIT: didn't see your post Alex I know but if I can't just sit and watch they poor thing die slowly it's not fair honestly I am busy but that doesn't mean I can let something suffer when I have the power to make his life better he has nobody to help him if I were dying I would want someone to help me even if they were busy.Just cause he is a fish does not mean his life is less important then anything elses

Last edited by naturegirl243; 09-29-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #8 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl243 View Post
I know I am pretty sure I am taking him soon I will probably have to bring him back I don't have enough time for that many fish but atleast I can help him for while.

EDIT: didn't see your post Alex I know but if I can't just sit and watch they poor thing die slowly it's not fair honestly I am busy but that doesn't mean I can let something suffer when I have the power to make his life better he has nobody to help him if I were dying I would want someone to help me even if they were busy.Just cause he is a fish does not mean his life is less important then anything elses
+1. At the very least, you can fix him up and find him a better home on CL or something of the like. It'll require a bit of work, but I'm sure you can find someone to take him if you need to (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #9 
naturegirl243

Yeah it would have to be someone who knew about bettas though not just a random person,One of my friends might always be able to take him too that way I could get updates and if he was unable to be taken care of they could give him back and I could just keep him chances are he will only live another year with his lack of care so far.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #10 
naturegirl243

Well here is an update, I brought a 2.5 gallon over to my grandmas and put him in it he was still really pale today, but hopefully he will get better.I decided not to take him if I ever get another one it wil be a healthy one not a rescue they are so much work I just don't have time.I feel bad cause this guy has nothing in his tank I had no extra plants to bring over there but I am going to get some cheap ones and put them in there,yes I will make sue they are not sharp so don't worry I will try to snap a pic of the little guy soon probably next time I go out there.