Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

Tail biting! D:

Agh,Riley stopped tail biting for awhile,and then today he bit a rather large chunk of his tail off! :/ I don't get why he keeps doing this. I've had him for about 3 months and the first 2 weeks he spent in a 2 gallon that had daily water changes,he never bit his tail then. Since then I moved him into a 5 gallon (Which I did cycle.) and he starting tail biting. Could larger areas stress him more and cause him to tail bite? Heres some more information.
Housing: 5 gallon,Cycled. Heater. Two clay pots and one silk plant.
Temp: Always stay between 78-80 degrees.
Water changes: Every week I do a 25% water change and every 2 weeks I do a 75% water change and wash all decor.
Also he's never been sick,he eats fine,builds bubblenest CONSTENLY,and is very active. Help? Thank you.

Ps:I have been doing 50% water changes every week to help with his fins growing back.
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #2 
Capricorn

Well, sometimes tailbiting can be caused by stress or boredom. Sometimes it's just in that particular fish's nature to bite.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #3 
Colibri

I think that some fishes feel safer of more comfortable in a smaller space. They're very territorial, so perhaps he's so used to his old place that a bigger one puts him in shock. Give him some days to adjust... put some of the old decor he had in the new tank so he recognizes it's his old home... only bigger and better.

Good luck!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #4 
Alexanderismylife

Thank you. Also would filling up most of the space in his tank help him maybe feel more confortable? or would it stress him more?
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 
Capricorn

Fill up most of it. In the wild bettas would live in a heavily planted rice paddy with tons of foliage.. don't be afraid to put lots of places to hide and plants in.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 
luv2run21

always have a planted tank its def a stress reliever and you coat stuff from like petco or petsmart
luv2run21 is offline   Reply With Quote