Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #1 
fleetfish

Major popeye. *graphic*

Went to Petsmart for a heater and came home with this boy with a marshmallow-like eye. His cornea was literally hanging by a thread when I got home, and sadly it seems to have fallen out. He'll be blind in that eye when it heals. I bought some maracyn one and two because it's so bad, do you think I should use it? His water, thankfully, was clean at the store. This is the worst popeye I've ever seen ... everytime I look at him I wince.

Last edited by fleetfish; 09-30-2010 at 12:07 PM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 
Adastra

Because it's only one eye it could be from trauma as opposed to an infection. Popeye caused by aeromonas bacteria usually affects both eyes. How is his behavior? Is he active? I would start with clean water and methylene blue. Methylene blue will help prevent secondary infections and aid with any ammonia poisoning. Since he has lost the eye, you will really need to keep the water ridiculously clean for awhile to prevent secondary infections.

I have tested the ammonia in very clean-looking cups and still found it to be off the charts high more often than not.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-30-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #3 
fleetfish

He's quite active, a little tilty because of his eye. He's swimming in loose circles, but his fins aren't clamped. I'll keep up with the waterchanges and I've added some blackwater extract and some aquarium salt until I can get some meth blue (probably tomorrow).
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #4 
Colibri

Poor little thing! He's handsome despite that tiny eye of his. One of the bettas we used to have also had a popeye on one of his eyes. With crystal clean water and the methalyne blue he's gonna get better. I hope that little pirate can adjust to his new way of seeing with only one eye. You should get him a tiny patch, hehe. It's so nice you rescued him.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor little guy!! He's very pretty. Keep us posted on his condition and good luck with him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #6 
fleetfish

I just came home to find him dead.

RIP bud.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I'm sorry :( He probably had some really bad infections as a result of that eye... there's probably nothing you could have done.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #8 
Colibri

Oh... I'm so sorry. Poor little one. At least someone cared for him and tried all that could be done to make him better. RIP.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 
carpenter547
Banned

just a side note i normally don't post in medical sections but i am suprised that no one had recomended epsom salt.

just a little little bit will help draw the fluid build up in the eye.
no it won't cure any thing but it will help dry out and shrink. supposedly it also gives electrolytes but i hesatate to use the word since some one will undoubtly start askin if thier betta need gatorade for them.

but any way i use about 3/4 teaspoon epsom salt per gallon. *DON'T MIX SALT AND MEDICATION UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING AND ARE SURE THAT THERE WILL BE NO INTERACTIONS* i use the epsom salt after the treatment doseing is done.

also and there is no proof of this but some time pop eye is fungal and can be killed by salting the tank a bit similar to ich *except ich is a parisitic organisim* again this is what i have heard and is passed on as hearsay i will defer to any one who knows better and apologize if i am in error.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #10 
fishman12

sorry for the loss.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote