Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #1 
dragonfair

Filters: HOB vs Undergravel?

Hi y'all. I've been searching for some info here and I may have missed previous postings about this. I currently have male bettas - 1 in a 10 gallon and 1 in a glass pitcher. Long story short: tried a tank divider, disasterous results, not gonna go there again.

Anyhoo, because of budget concerns, I'm selling my 10 gallon set up and using that $ to get two 5 gallon tanks, so everyone has a chance to stretch their fins. I want to stay with filters and heaters, but I can't find much info out there on HOB vs undergravel. Are there any advantages and disadvantages of one type over another? Years ago I had some bettas in their own 1 gal tanks with undergravel filters, but I can't remember anything about the tanks and I want to give them more room.

Any thought would be appreciated.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #2 
Adastra

I don't like UG filters--they're a pain in the butt to maintain since you have to tear up your whole tank to clean them out. They're messy. You definitely can't have rooted live plants and a UG filter. They do make decent bio filters, but I'd much rather use an HOB for convenience.

If you want a filter that works in a similar way to the UG but isn't actually under the gravel, go with a simple sponge filter.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-UGF are good and not all that hard to maintain-you don't have to do complete tear down to maintain if you use the correct size substrate and vacuum the substrate/gravel weekly to maintain water flow under the plate-you are limited to the species of plants that you can have with UGF-the roots can clog the plate an it won't work correctly.
The UGF are great for this species fins- it has limited water movement like with sponge filters (that are also a good choice)-the HOB type filter can sometimes be too strong in small tanks and tear up fins from just the water flow unless you baffle them.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 
dragonfair

Yeah, my filter is way too strong in my 10 gallon. I had to build a baffle to keep Maxi from being swept from side to side!

So, I'm assuming a sponge filter is different from attaching a sponge to a HOB filter to baffle the flow...?
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #5 
Adastra

It is, lol. It's basically a tube with a sponge attached to the base that uses an air pump to draw water and air through the sponge. Very simple and effective, I use them with my halfmoons.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote