Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #1 
peaches3221

Question PLEASE REPLY! aquarium salt?

So Logan had a bit of fin damage, and i was told to use aquarium salt. I bought some, but i have no idea how to use it. the container says to use half a teaspoon per gallon. I was planning on putting Logan in a critter carrier with half a gallon of water and a plant and no gravel and clean it every third day while he's being treated. so i would add 1/4 of a teaspoon, right? and do I need to gradually increase the salt, say, add a tiny pinch, wait three days, change the water, add two pinches, etc, or do i just plop in the whole 1/4 teaspoon right away? how long do i need to keep him in treated water? do i have to gradualy decrease the salt after treatment, or just stop adding salt completely? any other info is very much appreciated! thank you for your help!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The way I successfully do salt treatment...

While in QT-I use aquarium salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal (with salt tolerant fish)-along with 100% daily water changes for no longer than 10 days
Once treatment is completed they go back to their un-salted tank

I like to pre-mix my salt in a clean 1g jug to help make water changes and dosage easier as well as keeping both the QT fish and pre-mix salt water jug in the same location so that the water is close in temp.

Depending on what/why I am treating I like to keep the water temp in the low range of normal 76-78F-due to bacteria thrive best in warmer water. Sudden raise in water temp can often cause other problems related to bacterial infection like flex that is always in the water- in a immune compromised fish.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #3 
peaches3221

thank you very much! so do I need to gradually increase the amount of salt or just add it all at once?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM   #4 
peaches3221

ok so i mixed the salt (about 1/4 teaspoon, i'm going to increase the dosage to 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon over about four days) in a gallon of water and i'm going to put him in tomorrow. anything else i should do?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #5 
peaches3221

anyone?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I go straight to 1tsp/gal when I treat-wrong dosage and duration can cause resistant issues with both the fish and pathogen/parasites.

Often with most fin issues the best treatment in fresh, clean, dechlorinated water from 100% daily water changes. I only use aquarium salt if it looks to be rot or sever damage. Often once you provide the proper environment for the fish its immune response will kick in and take care of the problem...proper diet is also needed for healing-good nutrition and clean water......two great medication/treatment in my experience.......
Old 09-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #7 
peaches3221

so... i shouldn't use the salt? i wouldn't call it servere fin rot... and if i do use it, i should go strait to 1 teaspoon? it said 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon on the package...
Old 09-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Just fin damage or minor fin rot-water changes usually will do the trick-you also have to look at other things as the cause or the cause in general-like poor water quality, filter type or water flow, items in the tank even the substrate can be a cause-these need to be fixed to prevent more problems.
If and when I need to treat-I always use Qt container that are bare bottom, no filtration to get best healing and re-growth-I rarely treat for longer than 10d no matter what method I use and I see healing and re-growth within 3-4 days as a norm. Complete re-growth of the fin can take weeks-to-months depending on how bad it is and how/why the damage happened in the first place and prevention of secondary infection. I don't use OTC antibiotic..don't need them I can get healing without their use with just clean water and sometimes added aquarium salt
If I am going to use salts as part of the treatment I go straight to 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal in salt tolerant fish for no longer than 10 days with this species.
Only you can make that decision on how to treat-I am just telling you how I have done it for a very long time that has been effective for me with this species.
Nutrition is also a very important aspect in the healing process...without proper nutrition you may see different results.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #9 
peaches3221

thank you very much! i put him in clean water and will do water changes every other day for a week, and then if his fins looks worse i may go to the aq salt, but i don't think he needs it yet.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Daily 100% water changes would promote healing faster in my experience along with proper nutrition.