Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #1 
givemethatfish

Going to stock my tank this weekend!

I'm finally going to stock my 20g long tank this weekend, yay! I was afraid to pull too much mature media from my other thanks, so I have been doing a little bit of a fishless cycle with pure ammonia to be sure the bacterial colony is strong enough to stock it in one go. And it's definitely cycled as of yesterday!

I'm pretty excited. My plan is to get either habrosus or pygmy cories (I'd prefer habrosus, but they only had 5 or 6 left last time I was in), sparkling gouramis, and then I'll leave it up to fate as to what to get for a pair/trio of centerpiece fish. They had a lot to choose from last time at this store, and the owner said he had just gotten in a bunch more fish that were just about to come out of quarantine!

The sad part is I have to get a couple of replacement gouramis for my 54 gallon tank. I had 3 red flame dwarf gouramis, and two of them died mysteriously 2 weeks ago - well, one just disappeared and the other one I found 90% eaten by snails overnight. There were no signs of illness, and none of the other fish or the remaining gourami show any signs now after 2 weeks. It coincided with my recent power outage, so I'm wondering if there was a small spike from the filter being off for about 4 hours and they just couldn't handle it. They were both pretty runty, although very healthy. It's weird though because I have other, more sensitive fish (and shrimp) in there that had no problems. And it wasn't the "dwarf gourami disease" that lurks around. I figure waiting 2 weeks with no signs of trouble in the other fish is safe, and the fish store owner is holding his new gouramis in quarantine for me until Saturday (he quarantines fish for a month and I totally trust him), so I won't have to worry about it. Poor little guys though.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #2 
tankman12

Sounds good! Stocking a tank is always fun.

So for the 20 gallon, will it be planted?
Also for a stock i would do
15 habrosus cories
7 sparkling gouramis (3 males, 4 females)
Trio of peacock gudgeons (1m/2f)
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #3 
tankman12

The thing with dwarf gouramis is they kill each other. So definitely dont get more dwarfs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #4 
givemethatfish

The tank is pretty heavily planted right now.

I already have peacock gudgeons in my 54 gallon tank, so I'm thinking something different. Maybe German blue rams? Apisto borelli? Something a little different. I'll see what they have in stock and go from there.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #5 
tankman12

How about super red aggazii apistos?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

givemethatfish, I thought you had Honey's. Honey's are very different from Dwarf species and cannot contract the species disease of DGD.

Rams are very sensitive to water quality and I've never had good luck with them so personally I wouldn't recommend them unless your water is literally pristine. I'd go with Apisto's for a mated pair.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #7 
givemethatfish

I thought I had honeys too when I first got them! They were marked as "red flame honey gourami", and I got them from a very good LFS that always knows their stuff. But after questioning a little bit, I realized they had to be dwarfs instead of honeys. They all had a bright blue stripe, which I understand doesn't exist in the honeys. So I'm sure they're dwarfs now. I never saw any signs of aggression among them. But I have no idea if Cinderella killed the other 2 or not. She never bothered anyone that I saw, but I never found the first body and the 2nd one was basically stripped down to the skeleton by the snails when I found it in the morning. So no telling what really happened.

Maybe I'll let Cinderella be the lone gourami and beef up the #s of the cories in that tank instead. I have 6 cory paleatus and there's plenty of space to bump that up to 10.

My water quality has always been great, but I suppose it's just asking for trouble to get a super sensitive fish. I guess I'll see what the store has and go from there. They had some pretty apistos when I was there last. I'd go with honey gouramis, but I really love the little sparklers and I don't want to get two different gourami types. I just want something with a tiny pop of color since the cories and the sparklers are all silver/black/white.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sparklers are silver/blue, their eyes are bright blue and red too on their fins ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #9 
givemethatfish

Updated stock list from my store - fish just out of quarantine include double red apisto cacatuoides. This may be my pair of centerpiece fish!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #10 
tankman12

Ya those fish are cool. Do you have a dark substrate, cuz the colors will pop a lot more.
Posted via Mobile Device