Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 
bettagirl110299

should i get a betta or a goldfish?

I know both are very different, but I don't know which one to get. I have researched both species. I know all the basic requirements for each one. Without being too biased, which one do you think would you think I would be most happy with?
I really like both species. I'm not too crazy about the amount of waste produced by goldfish. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for the 10+ year commitment. But for a betta, I would have to get some additional supplies for it, I would have to use more electricity ( filter, heater, etc), and I know my parents will annoy me 24/7 that it's just a betta, they can live in a bowl with monthly water changes, no filter or heater.
bettagirl110299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Goldfish are much more work in the end. Needing at least a 20 gallon, preferably a 30 gallon for a single Goldfish with a very powerful filter and if you're going with Fancies then they require tropical temps of 75-80 roughly so you'd still need a heater for the winter time.

The Betta can at least reside in a smaller space without it overly damaging him so quickly. However, the larger the tank the better and easier it is for you to keep as well. Betta's still need a heater, they are tropical fish and don't do well with temps constantly under 70 degrees.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #3 
tankman12

It all depends on your space. Goldfish need a 29 gallon IMO. While a betta my only need 2.5-5 gallons. I heard fancies do great in cold water. I dont know much about goldfish so DO NOT BELIEVE ME 100%. While bettas need 78-82 degrees. Both types need weekly water changes and both do much better with a filter.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

It depends. I have both bettas and a goldfish. The goldfish was a prize from last year's visit to the county fair. And it's a comet tail at that.
IMO - bettas are easier because they don't need a huge tank or even a filter but their lifespans are much, much shorter then a goldfish that is kept in ideal conditions. Fancy tail goldfish supposedly do not need tanks as large as the single tail species from what I am told? I have also been told they are like companions of the same species BUT 2 goldies means 2X as much waster and water changes and a larger tank.

Yes, goldies are cold water fish and do not need a heater but some people do use them at a lower temp. setting. If olympia is still a mod, hunt her down for she knows all about goldfishies.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-24-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #5 
starlight910

Well goldfish need a pretty big tank from what I've heard and they poop a lot so they create a lot of ammonia, while you can keep a betta in a smaller tank (minimum 2.5 gallons) and they do need a heater but a filter is optional. Overall I think caring for a betta is easier. Although I'm not a very experienced fish keeper this information is from what I've heard. In the end it's all up to you
starlight910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #6 
bettagirl110299

Ok thanks guys! I think I'm going with a betta!I Thank you for helping!
bettagirl110299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just for everyone else, Fancies need hotter temperatures because they have been selective bred for a long time now. They will be okay in 60-70 but prefer 70-75 for optimal health. Pond fish like Comets and Commons are the coldwater fish.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Since a fancy goldfish's body is disfigured and bunched up, the digestive tract is a bit messed up compared to a common goldfish... warmer temperatures help the metabolism go up so things can pass through their deformed tummies a bit easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote