Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #1 
Bumbanut

Question Jimmy the Fish

Hello people!

I have received a betta fish as a gift this Sunday. I have just joined this forum, because I know I will have a few questions about my fish. My betta fish's name is Jimmy. He is light blue and has some pinkish brush on his fins. He lives in a fishbowl without a compressor or filter.

Since I got Jimmy, he was afraid of me. Every time I put my finger on the fishbowl he swims away. I already changed his fishbowl's water once (An hour ago), and when I was changing it, he was flopping in my hands like crazy! I don't know what to do. I feed him every day 3 times a day: 3 pellets for breakfast, 2 pellets for lunch, and 2 pellets for supper. Am I underfeeding/overfeeding him? What is happening? How can I train him not to be afraid of me? Please help me if possible. Thanks guys, I'm glad I joined this forum.

Last edited by Chesh; 11-25-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: OP's request!
Bumbanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 
Euphie101

As most people (including myself) will reccomend you update your bowl to a 2.5 Gal tank. Also, (in case you don't now) bettas need to have a heater. Betta's stomach are also the size of their eyes, so 3 pellets a day is the max I feed my fish. Before you feed them pelets, soak them in tank water for a little bit, so they don't expand in your betta's stomach, causing bloating. He's probably still getting used to you (but I would reccomend not sticking your finger in the bowl, it probably does scare him)
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #3 
Bumbanut

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphie101 View Post
As most people (including myself) will reccomend you update your bowl to a 2.5 Gal tank. Also, (in case you don't now) bettas need to have a heater. Betta's stomach are also the size of their eyes, so 3 pellets a day is the max I feed my fish. Before you feed them pelets, soak them in tank water for a little bit, so they don't expand in your betta's stomach, causing bloating. He's probably still getting used to you (but I would reccomend not sticking your finger in the bowl, it probably does scare him)
That's weird, because the person at the pet store said that no filter, heater, or compressor is needed, and on the pellet package it says to feed the fish 2-3 pellets 2-3 times per day...

I was also thinking of getting a light and some rocks for the fishbowl.
I will stick to the 1 something gallon bowl for now, but when I have the money, I will get the 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and lights. Thanks.
Bumbanut is offline   Reply With Quote