Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #11 
wystearya

Thanks for all the tips!

I'll certainly look up pictures so I can be aware and make sure to get something that is actually aquatic. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #12 
JorgeBurrito

For any plant I put in my tank I do a bleach treatment first to kill off snail and eggs. Make up a solution that is about 5% bleach. Soak your plants in this for about 5 mins (more delicate plants, which most of the plants mentioned are not, for just 2 or 3 minutes). After the 5 mins wash the plant thoroughly in tap and finally a 2 r 3 min soak in water with triple dose of dechlorinator present. This does a good job of getting rid of both snail and eggs.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #13 
celine18

are you sure that that gets rid of all the bleach? wouldn't the plant absorb some of it? (i've had live plants before, and i ended up infested with snails, but i'd never tried bleaching them)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #14 
Capricorn

I just bought three java fern in the small cylinders at petco.. they have a "no snail" thing written on the side, though I'm not sure how accurate that is... either way, the ones I found looked healthy, stuck them in the tank this afternoon.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #15 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
are you sure that that gets rid of all the bleach? wouldn't the plant absorb some of it? (i've had live plants before, and i ended up infested with snails, but i'd never tried bleaching them)
The plant won't absorb the bleach in such a short period, but it might have some trace amounts in hard to reach crevices. This is why I have the last step of a water bath with extra dechlorinator present. The dechlorinaotr neutralizes any residue bleach still on the plant. I have used this treatment for many plants in tanks with fish much more sensitive then Bettas and have never had any issues. I actually picked up this method reading over forums at plantedtank.net, and they are pretty fanatical over there so I trust them.

Last edited by JorgeBurrito; 10-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #16 
wystearya

Well, Petsmart only had one type of real aquatic plant in stock when I went in the other day. (Why do they sell bamboo as aquatic..?)

Anyway, it is called Anacharis, here is a pic I got from the internet:

Nothing fancy at all, but it's better than nothing. The other pet store in my area told me someone had bought all their plants and wouldn't get more in until Thursday. So, this was all I could get.

I hope to find some of those moss balls sometime in the future, they look neat. :)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #17 
celine18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeBurrito View Post
The plant won't absorb the bleach in such a short period, but it might have some trace amounts in hard to reach crevices. This is why I have the last step of a water bath with extra dechlorinator present. The dechlorinaotr neutralizes any residue bleach still on the plant. I have used this treatment for many plants in tanks with fish much more sensitive then Bettas and have never had any issues. I actually picked up this method reading over forums at plantedtank.net, and they are pretty fanatical over there so I trust them.
ok thanks! i just had to ask cause i'm super paranoid...
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #18 
TigerLily

That's a really cool tip about the bleach. I've never heard of that before, and my first reaction was to think 'wait, wouldn't that kill the plant?'

Anyway, I'll have to remember that, since my lfs sells their plants out of their fish tanks and I'm paranoid about cross contamination.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #19 
wallywestisthebest333

That's an awesome snail and egg removal method! =D Thanks for sharing!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #20 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
That's a really cool tip about the bleach. I've never heard of that before, and my first reaction was to think 'wait, wouldn't that kill the plant?'
This indeed is the danger of this method and why you only do it for a few minutes. Over long periods of time the bleach will attack the plants. As it is, I am sure it does some superficial damage to the plant, but the change in growing conditions from where it was grown to the store to your aquarium is a bigger stress than the brief dip in a low concentrated bleach soln. Almost all the low light plants that are mentioned around here are extremely hardy and will have no problems with this method. If you are doing a high tech setup with more delicate plants you have to reduce the time the plants spend in the bleach soln (thereby increasing the chance that the snails might survive).