Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 
bettauga

trying live plants

so i decided im going to slowly switch from plastic plants to real ones. i figured i would try something simple so i got some java moss and put it on my drift wood. the guy at the aquarium store told me that i would need algae eater so he sold me 2 very small algae eaters and he said that they wouldnt grow anymore and that if i didnt have them i would have a tank full of algae. Is this true or was he just trying to make a couple extra bucks off me?
bettauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #2 
zoragen

Bull!

How big is your tank and what's in it? What type of light? and how long is it on?

Light & nutrient imbalance cause algae.

I'm not a plant expert - just have a few crypts & a sword - but he was just trying to sell you the fish.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #3 
bettauga

its a 5.5 gal, its a 10 watt colormax fluorescent bulb, the light is on 11 hrs a day, there is only some java moss in the tank on a piece of drift wood, the whole tank now has a CT betta 2 ghost shrimp and 2 of these algae eaters and im pretty sure there was a stow away in the moss, it was in a shell and looked like a little crab but its probably a snail
Old 10-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #4 
Tomsk

He was just talking you out of your money
Do you know what type of fish you have got? He may well of said they wont grow any bigger just so you would get them (I hope they arent plecos).

If you would like some more easy to maintain live plants you could get an anubias,these are broad leaved slow growing and dont need much light.The roots need to stay above the substrate so you could tie this onto your driftwood too.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #5 
JKfish

That person was giving you a load of crap.

Because your tank is extremely overstocked, and especially if you don't know what the species is, I highly advise you return the fish. If they are Chinese Algae eaters, return them ASAP, because they are known to grow really big and kill other fish (even bettas) because they are so agressive.

Oh, and java moss is supposed to be an awesome little plant. It should do well with your lighting. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #6 
bettauga

i was afraid that is what had happened. i called the pet shop and found that they are otto's not sure if thats going to be ok. also there was a little crab that was in the java moss is it going to become a nuisance?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #7 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettauga View Post
i was afraid that is what had happened. i called the pet shop and found that they are otto's not sure if thats going to be ok. also there was a little crab that was in the java moss is it going to become a nuisance?
ottos are ok. They stay small and are quite peaceful. However, they are somewhat delicate and they can be picky eaters. This is because most otos are wild caught.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #8 
Tomsk

What do you feed your Betta on? the reason I ask is what are your ottos going to eat.If you use sinking pellets (and your Betta doesnt eat them all first) they may eat them.If not you may have to get algae waffers for them.
If you feel evil go and ask the bloke who sold you the Java moss and fish when is the algae going to start growing as the algae eaters he sold you are hungry if he tries to sell you algae waffers tell him to &*(&0! off

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #9 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
What do you feed your Betta on? the reason I ask is what are your ottos going to eat.If you use sinking pellets (and your Betta doesnt eat them all first) they may eat them.If not you may have to get algae waffers for them.
If you feel evil go and ask the bloke who sold you the Java moss and fish when is the algae going to start growing as the algae eaters he sold you are hungry if he tries to sell you algae waffers tell him to &*(&0! off

Tomsk
The thing about Ottos is that they may not eat prepared foods and eat only algae. This is because they are wild caught and algae is what their whole diet is.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #10 
JKfish

In such a small tank, it isn't advised to have too many fish, because if your betta decides he doesn't want those ottos near him, they have no place to go, so he could keep harrassing them, which would be bad. Everything, even fish need time/space to get away from the crowds XD.

Ottos are peaceful small fish, but they need space, live algae, algae wafers (if they accept them), and blanched veggies. I've heard people have had sucess feeding Ottos blanched zuchinni. (To blanch veggies, boil until squishy/mushy and serve it sunk at the bottom of the tank)

Try to figure out if the crab is a fiddler crab, or some sort of fresh water one. Fiddler crabs need land and brackish water, I suggest you give him back. If it is an aquatic freshwater one, keep an eye on him, I don't know how well your betta and the crab would get along.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote