Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #1 
Barchinski
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Clamped Fins and White Cotton ball under bell...

Hey

I am very new to this forum but just wanted to get my two-sense in. I have a male betta for about a year now and recently he has gotten pretty sick. About a month ago he was all faded in color and barely pushing along. I treated him for a fungal infection after talking to the pet store about him and he came back to normal activity. Now he just started developing a white ball on his underside - which i believe is another fungal infection. I went out and bought aquarium salt, treating him with pimafix and melafix. Changed water out completely after first treatment of pimafix about two weeks ago. The tank is 1.5gallon and has a tiny 1-3gal tetra whisper filter in it. Water temp is at 78-81 range and I just today took filter out after treating him for two days prior with meds. On top of this I recently learned that he has clamped fins - and this is probably due to him being stressed and sick. I am wondering if the continuation of meds that I am giving him right now will hopefully bring him to a bright and happy betta again. All i want is for him to spread his fins.

I am open to any advice and appreciate all the knowledge that is already on this forum. If anyone can chime in and let me know what steps I should take or am taken in the right direction I would appreciate that.

Speak soon and wish me luck.
Barchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Sorry you are having problems....have a few questions....

He is in a 1.5gal filtered/heated tank-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, what type of additives used, if any, what type of food and how much fed, how is his appetite today.
You have had him for a year and treated for fungal infection and now he has clamped fins, white substance on his stomach...any other symptoms....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #3 
Barchinski
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry you are having problems....have a few questions....

He is in a 1.5gal filtered/heated tank-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, what type of additives used, if any, what type of food and how much fed, how is his appetite today.
You have had him for a year and treated for fungal infection and now he has clamped fins, white substance on his stomach...any other symptoms....
Thanks and see if these answers help out...

I know for a fact the water changes and how frequent they are is why he is sick. I will be honest and tell you that its gotten pretty bad sometimes that the tank is only a quarter filled with water before i change it. This is not all the time but i would say every month i changed it. I know thats so bad, but I just learned this the past couple of weeks - sorry!

I just changed his water on Tuesday and he went back in tank on weds. I added the pimafix on Tuesday with fresh water,new filter, and heat. Then on weds he was put back into the tank...I went to the pet store on weds and shopped around for some meds. I picked up melafix along with some aquarium salt. That night I added both the melafix and salt to the tank along with the pimafix, filter running, and heat.

I usually feed in the am once a day and sometimes i give him some more food in the afternoon. He used to take TOP FIN Betta Bits, but lately hes been eating the OMEGA ONE Betta buffet flakes. Today he is very awake and when i take the lid off to say hi and feed him this AM he was buzzing all around. He would take flake into his mouth suck on it then spit it out. usually he takes and swallows but today i did notice he wasn't doing that with all pieces that went into his mouth.

Those are the only symptoms I can make out right now...cotton ball on underside, clamped fins, and the fungal infection....

Now that I recall I don't think from day one I have ever seen his fins totally opened....but this is my mission to give him a better surrounding than i HAVE.
Barchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #4 
Adastra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Oh my, poor man.. changing the water so infrequently in a tank that size, I'm honestly surprised he's still alive.

Melafix and Pimafix aren't real medications that are going to deal with this problem. They are antiseptics--so using them has the effect of putting peroxide on a cut. If he has something serious going on internally, they're not going to help. Some research has also suggested that the melaleuca in melafix produces fumes that are harmful to a betta's labyrinth organ--what they use to breathe air from above the surface.

First of all, you need to get your water quality under control immediately. In a half gallon tank you should be doing 100% water changes every day, especially in his current state. Given that he is active, I think what you're dealing with is water mold or saprolegnia--if it was columnaris he'd probably be a lot less responsive. I am not there and cannot guarantee what I don't experience first hand, of course, but given your description that seems like a plausible conclusion.

If this is the case, you are fortunate. Sapro moves more slowly than bacteria and is more treatable. In this situation, I would use salt and methylene blue and see how he reacts. If his condition worsens despite methylene blue, salt, and clean water, then consider a broad spectrum antibiotic.

It may be easier to keep up with maintenance if you get him a larger temporary container, such as a rubbermaid or sterilite plastic storage bin. These bins are only about $3 for 2-4 gallon containers and they're very light and durable. They aren't the best looking, but make fantastic hospital containers because they're long and shallow--so the fish has swimming space but doesn't have to struggle to get to the surface to breathe. Just something to consider. :)

Last edited by Adastra; 10-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #5 
Barchinski
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
OK awesome advice....

Now can I pick up the methylene blue at pet smart or petco? Also, whats the best way to do a complete 100% water change? And leaving the filter off a smart bet? I'm sorry if im being annoying with the questions but im just willing and on a mission to help this little guy. I feel real bad inside and want to try and make it up to him. I can run out now to the store and get the meds and container if need be - just need to know how to do a 100% water change the right way....also whats the best way to transfer him from container to container..

Hey thanks again!
Barchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #6 
Ajones108
Member
 
Ajones108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
I think PetCo has methylene blue. If it doesn't, petsmart does.

I do not net my bettas when I do water changes. Using their store cup or a clear cup like a dixie cup with a smooth edge, I scoop them carefully from their water, with some of their old water, while I do the water change. I rinse the tank, add new water about the same temp as the old water, add dechlorinator, and then I take some of the new water and add it to his cup to adjust in water pram changes. If the cup will do it, I let the cup float in the tank to properly acclimate to temperature. I drastically draw out my 100% water change acclimations.

50/50 with old water and new water for 15 minutes

75/25 new water/old water dumping out some of the cup water in a separate bowl to be disposed of, not re-added to the tank, for 15 minutes

And then I do a 90/10ish with the new/old water, and after that I dump the most of his cup in the bowl to be disposed of, and then slowly lower the cup into the tank sideways to let it fill with water, and he swims out.

Although with a 1/2 a tank, you wouldn't be able to really do this cause... Well, his cup would be the same size as the tank...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #7 
Barchinski
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
I think PetCo has methylene blue. If it doesn't, petsmart does.

I do not net my bettas when I do water changes. Using their store cup or a clear cup like a dixie cup with a smooth edge, I scoop them carefully from their water, with some of their old water, while I do the water change. I rinse the tank, add new water about the same temp as the old water, add dechlorinator, and then I take some of the new water and add it to his cup to adjust in water pram changes. If the cup will do it, I let the cup float in the tank to properly acclimate to temperature. I drastically draw out my 100% water change acclimations.

50/50 with old water and new water for 15 minutes

75/25 new water/old water dumping out some of the cup water in a separate bowl to be disposed of, not re-added to the tank, for 15 minutes

And then I do a 90/10ish with the new/old water, and after that I dump the most of his cup in the bowl to be disposed of, and then slowly lower the cup into the tank sideways to let it fill with water, and he swims out.

Although with a 1/2 a tank, you wouldn't be able to really do this cause... Well, his cup would be the same size as the tank...

Hi, I think I understand what you mean by changing out the water in increments...

I will just slowly add new water into the as I take out the old.

He is cornering himself this morning...flapping his wings when he hears me but will not move from facing the corner. I am going to go track dow the M.Blue stuff and maybe search around for some temporary container I can use to med him in.

Now doing these 100%water changes everyday...is this something I will always need to do unless I upgrade his tank size? I am going to get a bigger tank size but was going to hold off for a couple of months until I move into a new home, but from the sounds of it I think i need to this now to help my betta.

Fins are extra clamped today also, and water seems to be a bit foggy (I think this is from the medication in it and me taking the filter out).

Thanks and keep the advice coming....
Barchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 
Adastra
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Yes, you should remove the filter and you will need to keep doing 100% water changes either every day or at most every other day in a tank this size. You have to understand that fish constantly excrete a toxic substance, ammonia, from their gills as waste. This is like their form of urine. In nature, this would be broken down into a less toxic substance by beneficial bacteria, consumed by plants, and diluted across much larger quantities of water. Because none of these components are at work in your tank, you have to compensate by performing frequent 100% changes.

If you get a larger filtered tank 3-5 gallons or so (the bigger the better), the you can cultivate beneficial bacteria in your filter and even grow live plants if you have the proper lighting. This will greatly diminish the maintenance necessary to keep your fish healthy--so instead of 100% every day or every other day, you only have to do one 30%-50% change a week, which is a lot nicer!

Is he still eating/showing interest in food?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #9 
Barchinski
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Yes, you should remove the filter and you will need to keep doing 100% water changes either every day or at most every other day in a tank this size. You have to understand that fish constantly excrete a toxic substance, ammonia, from their gills as waste. This is like their form of urine. In nature, this would be broken down into a less toxic substance by beneficial bacteria, consumed by plants, and diluted across much larger quantities of water. Because none of these components are at work in your tank, you have to compensate by performing frequent 100% changes.

If you get a larger filtered tank 3-5 gallons or so (the bigger the better), the you can cultivate beneficial bacteria in your filter and even grow live plants if you have the proper lighting. This will greatly diminish the maintenance necessary to keep your fish healthy--so instead of 100% every day or every other day, you only have to do one 30%-50% change a week, which is a lot nicer!

Is he still eating/showing interest in food?
Make total sense...I'm in the process of getting a new setup for him with a new ADA tank and live plants throughout. So I think once I can get him to recover i should be good to go.

I have not fed him today and will not. I'm going to let him just chill today and take in the meds.

I went to two pet store...PetSmart and a Pets Plus around me. Neither had the methylene blue so after stopping at the second store they called over to another store in our area and spoke with them. After no one having the product they cam up with having me get the API Fungus Cure (10) pack powder solution. So I went and picked up a 4gallon rubbermaid tub cheap and did a 50% new water/50% old water with aquarium salt. I let this new tub sit until it hit the proper temp and then just now I released the betta in with the fungus powder solution.

Tank is all green now....but I am hoping this works.
Barchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #10 
FuulieQ
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Good luck! I hope he pulls through for you!!
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3/5 clamped fins? AlexXx Betta Fish Care 24 11-29-2009 07:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.