Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 
r3h0ld3r

Fish swimming sideways...

I've got a betta in a 1 gallon with a filter and heater set up. He's been fine and recently I've noticed he's been a little blue around the gills literally...and laying on his side at the surface of the water. Also, he used to swim all around the tank and now he only swims at the surface. Any idea what's wrong?

He used to have fin rot, but I saved him from my sister, and he's doing better, but still recovering...I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Please let me know if you have any advice, thanks.
r3h0ld3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2 
Adastra

If you can answer these questions it will help us pinpoint possible causes and treatment options: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

The quality of the advice you get can depend on how detailed your answers are, so try to be thorough. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #3 
r3h0ld3r

well, he's in a one gallon with a filter, live plant, and a heater at about 81F. I feel him pellets and freeze dried bloodworms 1 to 2 times a day, a little at a time. I change about a 1/3 of the water once a week. No tank mates, just started noticing symptoms of blue/whiteish gills and staying at the top of the tank as mentioned above.

He's about 4 months in my possesion. I have not had the water checked.
r3h0ld3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic and are you sure the blue/white is not a normal color change? What kind of live plant? Is he still eating and acting okay except for floating at the top...no bloat?

In a 1gal filtered with live plant-I would increase your water changes to 2-3-50% weekly with one of the water changes include the the substrate.

Right now-I would start by making some daily 50-75% water changes for 3-5 days and see if he won't perk up for you
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote