Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 
Moldau

Driftwood Confusion

I would really like some driftwood for my 5 gallon, but all I've found locally are pieces way too large for it. I was reluctant to buy it online since you can't actually pick out the driftwood that way and shipping tends to be really high, but I thought I would give it a try. I found a site called Bob's Tropical Plants. www.bobstropicalplants.com

They claim that their driftwood has already been soaked and also that they can choose a good combination for your aquarium size. I emailed them a while back and got a reply almost immediately. However, I tried contacting them on Saturday and also on Monday, and still haven't had any reply back. Not sure if I should wait longer or find somewhere else to buy some.

Anyone familiar with that site or have advice for where I should look instead? I thought I would have plenty of time to get decorations while my tank is cycling, but now it's probably almost done and I still don't have anything. Any advice?
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

If I were you I would look on Ebay for Mopani wood - I have some and LOVE it!!! It sinks right away, it is two-toned & it doesn't fall apart after a while like regular driftwood does.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #3 
Vincent

Make sure you boil it yourself before you put it in your tank, I bought some that i found had little white worms (looked like little pieces of cotton thread floating in the water)scared the crap out of me. and I just boiled everything in my tank to make sure I got rid of them.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

To be honest, I have NEVER boiled any wood (regular driftwood or Mopani) that I have in my tanks. I have soaked them for a few days in straight hot water in a bucket (changing the water a couple of times a day), but have never boiled it.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #5 
Moldau

Thanks for the advice. I'll try looking on Ebay. Also, when you soak driftwood, do you need to dechlorinate the water?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldau View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll try looking on Ebay. Also, when you soak driftwood, do you need to dechlorinate the water?
Personally, I don't. I always figure the chlorine in the hot water will kill anything that MAY be in/on the wood that shouldn't be there.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #7 
Alex09

Get mopani wood. Its supposed to sink immediately and release less tannis. It also comes it really cool twisty shapes. I got mopani wood from petco in the reptile section (labeled safe for aquarium and terrarium use) I soaked it in a bucket overnight. Didnt see much tannis so I just plopped it in the 10 gal. The water had a light yellow tint to it for a few weeks but I liked it. Bettas are supposed to like tannis as well...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

That's exactly how I treated my Mopani wood, Alex, and it worked out GREAT.

Personally, I LOVE the stuff & that is what I will be getting next time I need a piece of wood for one of my tanks! :)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 
Moldau

I found some Mopani wood on Ebay. They had the exact picture up and everything. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

You're welcome - enjoy! :)