Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #1 
carpenter547
Banned

betta sororatie pond

just outa curiosity has any one attempted a sororatie betta pond? how did it work out.

i looked for posts on this before i did my own but if i missed any a link to them would be appreciated.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 
Alex09

As in a real outdoor pond? Do you live in a tropical climate? Or are you talking about using a large plastic container or something?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #3 
carpenter547
Banned

well i live in a desert so i go from tropical fish outdoor ok in summer to too cold in the winter. yes i am talking about a pond similar to a koi pond. in my front yard prolly dug as a shallow bowl mabey an open cylender. i would use a solar heater / filter set up to maintain heat in the winter. even in the dead of winter a solar heater i capable of maintaining 100 degree water temps.

i don't have the desire to make a pond large enough to keep koi or comet goldies in as they need alot filter and space for thier stocking levels. how ever to my initial impression i would be able to make a 6 - 8 foot round and shallow like 9 - 12 inch deep pond with some lillie pads. i have access to cannal water *at night* so the water would be free basically and clean.

figgure for stocking it would be:
20ish fem bettas by my calculations 72 inch diamete 12 inch deep would a little over 200 gallons at 20 stocked that would be 10 gallons per. advice would be sought on exact number and such.

20 ghost shrimp
enough cpo crays to start of a self sustaining colony of them.

most all the birds around here in the desert aren't really fish eating birds and most of the migratory birds tend to hang around the salton sea. i figgure floating plants and apogen bulbs would hide stock well enough especially with my elm trees hanging over the purposed pond.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #4 
carpenter547
Banned

i could also use a fountain in the middle to make it look really really cool .

and since i am a carpenter who works around alot of cement guys when i form i will be doing basically all the work myself. cement is only 5 bucks for a 90 pound bag.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

That would be cool!! I have a 300 gallon pond and once we get a heater and a cover its all mine hehe. It has a fountain but I plan on getting rid of it (since it's the filter and a fountain combo). I'd like to maintain a breeding colony in the pond, 2 males and 3 females. Tons of live plants. Fry would do well with all that infusoria, and a ton of mosquito larvae for adults (in the summer, not winter). And they'd be more peaceful (fry raised around adults are usually more peaceful). But it's just an idea.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #6 
carpenter547
Banned

:) almost exactly.

would you need a filter for that set up you have? though wouldn't some pot scrubbies sponges and a pvc pipe provide enough filteration for bettas?

i have the plans for a perposed diy filter biological and mechanical. and it ties right in with a fountain.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter547 View Post
:) almost exactly.

would you need a filter for that set up you have? though wouldn't some pot scrubbies sponges and a pvc pipe provide enough filteration for bettas?

i have the plans for a perposed diy filter biological and mechanical. and it ties right in with a fountain.
I'm just gonna do a big Bio filter. A bucket or something with filter floss, carbon, cut up pieces of straw, gravel, an airstone with a pump, and live plants mixed in. Should provide enough biofiltration.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #8 
carpenter547
Banned

ahh ok i am looking into setting up a 20 long tank next to my 37 brack tank using it to house some fiddler crabs and using the sand substrate in it to act as a filter mechanical / biological . figgure in on one side down and through sand with the crabs eating all the crap that come from main tank then through then mesh off the sand and use a pump to move water back into main tank. kinda a repairfugiarypalundrum deal :)