Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #41 
BettaLover101

the temp was about 80% almost all the time. I fed the parents cull fry, frozen bloodworms, and freeze dried bloodworms. I had the container covered the whole time, except when I did quick checks on the pair. Nothing was disturbing the water. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. I will be getting a space heater for my fish room soon though so that'll help keep a steady temperature in the room. I am definetely not giving up on breeding the thai way though and I will be trying it again soon.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #42 
BettaBoy84

Talking Planted Tai ?

Very strange..well IMO a planted tank is a successful tank. never failed me..My first few spawns were glass tanks, traditional hobbiest script...but both times failed..and they were to the book..

Then I decided to create some planted tanks..they took off...not only did the fish love it and love spawning in them, the bubble nests were huge, the colors got brighter, but I loved plating themm..its fun and truley rewarding watching the plants get larger and the tank fill in...

Cant wait to see your prrogress and look forward to the new pics of your next attempt...
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #43 
BettaGirl290

my spawning tank is a 20 gal. w/ 50 watt heater, it keeps the temp at 80* F
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #44 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you plan to breed this way during the cold seasons, I suggest you use a glass container with covers because it would make the temp more stable compared to plastic. Drastic temp changes whether up or down will affect the fry.

I must warn you though this method is usually used only to spawn the breeders and once the fry are free swimming they would be released to a larger pool/pond. Further, the Thai's have suitable climate and spring water which adds to their success.

You must also consider what you're going to feed them. This set up doesn't supply adequate infusoria unless you use aged/conditioned water. What ever you feed them, you must also do pwc because ammonia will quickly build up in that small container.

The longest I've succeeded keeping fry in such small containers is 2 weeks (their growth will be affected). But then again I use very old aged water which I know is full of micro organisms. My pwc is also of the same water source which ensures the supply of infusoria. I feed and do daily pwc - sometimes twice a day. ... In short it's much more work and I wouldn't recommend it (specially in the cold season), not even to an experienced breeder who doesn't have that much spare time.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #45 
BettaLover101

I am aware of all of these factors. I had planned on leaving the fry in for about a week and a half then moving them into two very well planted infusoria filled tank which I would let them grow up in. I also have tons of bbs on hand that i can hatch whenever i want for the fry once they got bigger. Also, I use a heater in the container for the moment and this weekend I am getting a space heater to keep all of my tanks at the same temperature since all I have in that room are guppies and bettas(both love the warm temperatures). For my new spawn I may try either a slightly larger plastic container or one of my 2.5 gallon tanks and see if they work better than the smaller plastic containers. I was also thinking about having another tank set up, probably another 2.5g, and just switching the nest and eggs over to it before the fry hatch. I'm stilling thinking it all over in my head though so I might start the spawn this coming weekend or the weekend after depending on how my bettas are doing and how much free time I have to watch them.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #46 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I respect your attempt to gain knowledge and experience. But moving eggs before they hatch for no reason? .... is that wise? IMO if you have a good breeder and father, don't stress him by removing his eggs. Let nature take its course.

Since you plan to move them anyway, why not spawn the breeders in that tank? Unless you plan to mass produce using a number of pairs but only have one grow out, I don't see the point of this method.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I just don't see the logic to what you are trying to do. Anyway, the key to successful breeding is suitable water. If the fry can survive in your water, they have a chance. So try to keep its perimeter stable at least the first week. By moving eggs/fry means they have to adjust to their new water.

I've often experienced unexplainable losses. Believe me it's frustrating! During this period, I'm reluctant to do pwc. To me, stunt fry is better than dead fry. I truly hope you figure out what went wrong.

Keep us posted. Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #47 
MrVampire181

I agree with BettaBoy84, my now favorite set up is a 16 quart (4 gallons) with a small preset heater and some live plants. I prefer shallow and hobbyist method for spawning. Anyway Indjo has some good points. Stunting is my main concern, that's why I change 12-15 gallons on my 16.5 gallon daily (I upped it from 6-9 gallons).

Last edited by MrVampire181; 10-10-2010 at 11:49 AM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote