Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #1 
Rawriie

Smile Creeped Out? xD

I am O_O I just bought a Otocinclus Plecostomus Fishie, and hes like, swimming everywhere really rapidly O_________O Im not sure if thats normal; he really looks like he`s dancing which is rather funny *cough*&&disturbing*cough* Anyone else seen something weird like that? xD
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
JKfish

Hey rawrie :D

Is your tank cycled? and how big is it again? What are you going to feed him?

ottos need to be in groups of 3-4, so you'd need a bigish tank, and they are really delicate so your tank should be cycled if you want him to live long :)

He sounds adorable though.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #3 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Hey rawrie :D

Is your tank cycled? and how big is it again? What are you going to feed him?

ottos need to be in groups of 3-4, so you'd need a bigish tank, and they are really delicate so your tank should be cycled if you want him to live long :)

He sounds adorable though.
ARE YOU JKING!? OMG THATS Dx Im in trouble D: I should have researched more...;.; I have a 5 gallon tank...and I dont know a thing about cycling and I only have 1 Otto ;.; omg what should I do *panicked*
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #4 
JKfish

don't worry Rawrie, it's fine!

Though, yes, researching is always a good idea. Impulse buys aren't good when they concern animals, especially if you don't know how to care for them.

Look, for the time being he should be fine. At the moment, you have 3 choices. 1) return him 2) upgrade to a 10 gallon, cycle it and put your betta in there with the otto and buy your otto some friends 3) keep him as is.

if you keep your otto as is, he probably won't live as long as expected, and you increase the possiblity that your betta will attack him, however, I think it's possible to do so.

Feeding wise, if you have cucumbers or zuchinni, boil some pieces until they are sort of mushy, then sink them in there, or buy some algae wafers.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Cycling isn't that hard! :) If you choose to get a ten gallon there are plenty of people who can help you! And since you already have a tank, you can use some of the 'aged' decorations/gravel to make the cycle go faster! Otos are cute already and cuter when they have a group :3
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 
Rawriie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
Cycling isn't that hard! :) If you choose to get a ten gallon there are plenty of people who can help you! And since you already have a tank, you can use some of the 'aged' decorations/gravel to make the cycle go faster! Otos are cute already and cuter when they have a group :3
A ten gallon? What kind of fishies I could put and how many? =3 Thanks Muffin!!! <3
Old 10-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #7 
Rawriie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
don't worry Rawrie, it's fine!

Though, yes, researching is always a good idea. Impulse buys aren't good when they concern animals, especially if you don't know how to care for them.

Look, for the time being he should be fine. At the moment, you have 3 choices. 1) return him 2) upgrade to a 10 gallon, cycle it and put your betta in there with the otto and buy your otto some friends 3) keep him as is.

if you keep your otto as is, he probably won't live as long as expected, and you increase the possiblity that your betta will attack him, however, I think it's possible to do so.

Feeding wise, if you have cucumbers or zuchinni, boil some pieces until they are sort of mushy, then sink them in there, or buy some algae wafers.

I did though O_o I looked plecos up and didnt really look for "otos", jus that they were one of the smallest Plecos o-o So I thought, "Hey, maybe it would be fine in a 5 gl!" ;.; I was wrong tho and im feeling really bad about it...&& if I do get a 10 gallon tank, what should I do?